I Forge Iron

Tie Rod Ends and Threads in Scrap in General

The fist picture is of a piece of tie rod end and the second is pretty much the same, just thicker. The first I know nothing about it, it was just in a stack of tie rod ends at the scrap yard. The second is still mystery steel except it is Ford mystery steel. 

Should I have ground the threads of prior to forging.  I thought they would forge out, but they didn’t, as you can see from the shark gill-like lines on the first piece. If it is just on the surface, will I have to worry about failure where the lines are?

The first I forged into a ball punch and the second a hot cut Hardy tool. I heat treated both in motor oil. Tempered the hot cut to blue and the ball punch to straw. 

3466D009-77C2-467B-93D1-950B0444FA23.jpeg

914B4980-DAA6-4E15-8288-059CD346B3D0.jpeg

If it were a thinner tool I could see more possibility of a failure but being a bit thicker, unless it was used hard, I don't think you'll have an issue. 

Probably best to grind the threads off in the future unless it will be a thick tool. 

Thanks. I was concerned it might be like a small ding in a windshield. Just a speck one day and then a few months later the crack shoots all the way across the glass. 

It won’t see much hard work. It’s intended use is to make rivet heading and bucking tools. Once it had done that I will disrupt it and make progressively larger heading and bucking tools. After all that, reforge it into something like an eye punch. 

• 1 month later...

The second tie rod end above I made into a hot cut. It can be seen in the attached photo below on top of a cable spool. (The hot cut was not the subject of the photo so it is in the extreme top left of the photo.). It doesn’t look like that today. It now has a thick washer about midway up to keep the hot cut from being driven too far into the hole. The reason I put the washer on was I grew tired of having to tap the shank of the tool to get it out of the anvil.  

I couldn’t grind all the thread away.  The shank would have been too thin if I did.  Besides I expect Daswulf is correct. As long as I am not using it hard it should be fine  

7019FBF2-E7F9-41F8-B634-2B4EA319076A.jpeg