I Forge Iron

Can sombody tell me more about my hay budden?

So I have had my hay budden anvil for over 25 years, last night I cleaned It up and a buddy told me it’s worth a lot of money. I honesfly would love more on-site on it please, I dont Know what year it is.  I know it’s a high carbon steel top, 174 pounds hay budden Brooklyn ny. It does look like there is a W on the bottom of the anvil. I posted Some pics if anybody could tell me more about it. Thank you so much!

F516DBF1-0EBD-4B54-BF06-A2FC6CE7EDB4.jpeg

5A655E7A-5999-4522-936A-2DE45412C3AA.jpeg

E171718A-688E-43C0-98AC-5444D9013837.jpeg

5D16BBEC-A30A-46E9-9C7A-8A0B2E301DC0.jpeg

62EB7E5C-492C-4821-81AC-66715A86122A.jpeg

507760B1-088A-42AA-B7BA-9633E7633A8A.jpeg

HB are top notch anvils for sure and yours is in awesome condition. Depending on where you live, anvil prices can range from 4-8 dollars a pound. Sometimes more. There should be a serial number in the left front foot. That can help determine the year it was made. Also, a number should be visible under the logo which will the weight.

Sharp edges always drop what I'm willing to pay as they usually indicate that they have been messed with and there are so many ways to go wrong messing with them and so few ways to do it right. Any grinding or milling on the face of the anvil also drops what I'm willing to pay by 1/2 or more!

Fresh paint on an anvil also drops the price as you have to guess if they are trying to cover up a defect.  Like buying a used car that they tell you has never been in an accident but the right  front fender has been repainted...

Like antiques; Anvils have earned their patina and should proudly display it.

Ty man. The paint is nothing some paint remover can’t fix. It was painted so I just Cleaned it up and re shot it. Didn’t realize how important the raw metal was to people. I built Motorcycles my whole life and that’s what I used It for. Never did any blacksmithing

6 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Sharp edges always drop what I'm willing to pay as they usually indicate that they have been messed with and there are so many ways to go wrong messing with them and so few ways to do it right.

I understand where your coming from. It was painted so I sanded It and respirated it. The top was just block sanded by hand to clean the deck up. 

CB7D2051-B959-4A2C-BA21-0D577A0F4786.jpeg

928742AD-50D5-455B-8BBE-760F75362F0A.jpeg

Welcome to IFI... have you read this yet? READ THIS FIRST

We won't remember your location once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show location.

8 hours ago, Billober said:

I’m in Connecticut

Also you might look at the quoting thread about excessive quoting and including pictures with the quote.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/57601-quoting-deleted/

To me the second picture in your first post it looks as if a separate steel face has been welded on. If that's the case it will seriously lower the price of the anvil, especially if the person doing the welding has limited experience repairing anvils.

BTW, I recently purchased an unaltered 106 pound Hay Budden in very good condition for $1.89 U.S. so all Hay Budden's are not necessarily "worth a lot of money".