I Forge Iron

First damascus attempt

Binesman

9 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

You can etch for topography which will stay around longer---however it will also cause issues with cleaning.

On my kitchen knives, I etch to topography, then coffee.  How strong was the coffee?  The coffee solution I use was a 1/2 pound really cheap instant coffee to 1/3 gallon of water.  I've found that the more I use it the darker it makes the pattern.  Also, how you clean it will affect the longevity.  I wash my knives immediately after use, don't use any scrubbers and then blot dry then air dry before putting away.  Wiping the blade will wipe the coffee darkness off.

These aren't the best pictures, but I think you can see the contrast on at least part of the blade.  The top one is the first knife I made 3 years ago and the bottome one is 1 1/2 years old.  Neither one have been re-etched or re-darkened.

20190125_172953.thumb.jpg.fa041930e447a5be50a10971af1f2db6.jpg

as always 

peace and love

billyO

Beautiful raindrop pattern.  I Like the downward curving handle.  Pinned handle, so I'm guessing full tang, very durable.  Can I ask what steels you used?  It would have to be 2 of the stainless alloys, right?  This knife is for taking to the stream.  Gut the fish on the spot.  Then back into the sheath wet.  Now stream water is a little higher ph, Colorado trout can't deal with acidity in their water.  Regular carbon steel will rust out there, so W2 and 15n20, guessing?  xxxx, never thought about this before; I love to fish too.  So, if I'm going to make anything for fishing, what are my options?

Edited by Mod34
Inappropriate language

Resin to fill ajd seal any Just 1095 15n20.  I'm not worried about rust if you keep it oiled and clean at the end of the day it shouldnt be an issue.  

Yes full tang and since it for fish after getting the handle rough shaped I slathered it up good with resin to fill and seal any pores so smelly fish gut oil doesnt get under the scales.  Then finished the handle and "scuffed" it up a bit so it wouldnt be slick.