I Forge Iron

How to get a screw+ box?

ForgingH

I've done some research with very few results and I just can't find a place to buy a screw box, or a complete screw and box for that matter. I figured I could get a vise for that much. Does anyone know where I could buy a screw and box? I don't have any welders, angle cutters, torches, dies , etc. Or does someone have one to sell? Thanks in advance.

There was a fellow selling loose ones at Quad-State last year.  Of course he wanted more for them that for any postvise with a good screw/screwbox I have ever bought.

Sears Roebuck used to sell them 100+ years ago which doesn't help you out at all.  100+ year old Orphan equipment doesn't have much in the way of support structure.

Look for an old style house jack. Essentially all you need is a large diameter screw and matching nut. Square and buttress threads are best for vises, but a large Acme will also do. Also check with companies that do scaffolding (leveling jacks), crane and hoists (screw actuators), large scrap lathes have big lead screws that could create several screws, then have nuts made. image.png.443aa6e49ae2b1b38fa02f58781787ed.png

Screw jacks.jpg

I’d buy a post vice in poor condition and salvage the box or box and screw. I’ve seen some in the past that were really sticks of rust but becuase the screw threads were the only thing still covered in a layer of grease and somewhat protected from the elements, it meant as components they were fine. Get a box and a screw and you dont need to worry about a match.