I Forge Iron

Another place to buy coal

So I have a question as to the cost of coal. Like many I bought anthracite from TSC. During my quest for a solid fuel, my son found a place in Western Missouri called Continental coal company. He said he called them and it was $65 a ton.

Then he couldn't find their number. My local TSC doesn't stock either. No anthracite, or coal of any kind. The stuff I got, I got while out of town visiting family. Finally I located the phone number (according to Google) for them and called. The number listed was their fax machine. After a bit of searching I located another phone number and called it. (I suggested an edit with Google that's in review)

The lady answered by saying "Continental". Knowing I finally got the right number I asked if they sell to the public and she said I needed to talk to a gentleman named Chris and gave me his number. I called Chris and asked the same question. Yes they sell to the public at $65 a ton. No minimum. He said he has people come in and buy a tote full for forging with and some that being in trailers.  He said it is bituminous, about 11k btu and I think he said size "0"...? Still not sure if I heard the size correct.

So here's my question, go or no go?

Btw, I have the phone number. IF I'M ALLOWED to post it, I will. I'll wait on admin or Glenn to give me the ok for that.

Go... with no minimum take a couple of 55 gal drums and see how it works out. If it's good and you have access to a trailer or truck, and have room to store it get a ton.

Or if you are near a club, check with them, our club sells good coal to members and visitors alike.

44 minutes ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Or if you are near a club, check with them

I have tried to look on the abana website and can't get any info. The only thing I see is "membership info is no longer given out".

It's gonna be a while before I can make the trip to that particular facility to get some anyhow since it's a couple hours away. I'm changing jobs in a couple weeks (I'm putting in my 2 week notice tomorrow). The wife and I are taking some classes to get foster care licensed. I just don't foresee the trip in my near future. Simply to busy with life right now. 

I was more looking for input if you guys think it's a good price and a decent quality coal.

2 hours ago, Steve Sells said:

11K btu is kind of on the low side

What is the desirable btu rating? Of bituminous?

I actually live in Kansas. Although the Missouri line is only about 45 minutes. The place I mentioned is only about an hour's drive for me though.

I finally found the local club. Their in Paola ks. Their only about an hour away. The next meeting is this month. Unfortunately I'm not gonna be able to go check it out, to busy with life right now.

Maybe in the next couple months I can go, once things calm down a bit.