I Forge Iron

1904 blacksmiths shop

Kozzy

Appears they were doing refrigerated rail cars (ice boxes back then).

I've attached a smaller version but the original is extremely high resolution and clear so you can see lots of interesting details  http://www.shorpy.com/node/12320?size=_original#caption

Curious horizontal forming press...and it appears that bolt making was a big portion of the grunt work.  Anyway, just though the history buffs might like a look.  If you spot something else interesting, please add a comment.

10zpq35.png

Addendum...guy on the farthest right must have Popeye-sized forearms to be swinging that sledge the way he is.

If you will take the time to read the lettering on the pitman arm of that massive horizontal metal bender, you will find that it is "The Bulldozer".

Years later, recalling the action of that standard shop tool, someone took to calling the impressive earthmoving capabilities of a push blade on the front of a tracked site preparation tractor by the same sobriquet, and the name stuck.

Fantastic photo. Very clear ... and that makes me think that it is a staged photo ... meaning, they are all waiting for the photo to be taken and not doing any real work at that point in time. That will probably explain the one arm swinging sledge on the far right, even when it is not that big of a hammer. The two dudes on the left seem to be noodling around. The guy in the hat waiting his turn to go to the loo and the big guy in the center is swinging a 20 oz ball peen hammer to a steel brace that is most likely 70 lb :)

Very cool. 

Now that's interesting...I assume they did the panorama of 2 plates in 2 different shots so he probably moved between.  Or he's the resident shop ghost :)

And just because I wondered about the origin of the term and it's use that early on equipment (that was before cats with blades were call bulldozers):

"

bulldoze (v.)

by 1880, "intimidate by violence," from an earlier noun, bulldose "a severe beating or lashing" (1876), said by contemporary sources to be literally "a dose fit for a bull," a slang word referring to the intimidation beating of black voters (by either blacks or whites) in the chaotic 1876 U.S. presidential election. See bull (n.1) + dose (n.). The bull element in it seems to be connected to that in bull-whip and might be directly from that word. Meaning "use a mechanical ground-clearing caterpillar tractor" is from 1942 (see bulldozer); figurative use in this sense is by 1948. Related: Bulldozed; bulldozing.