I Forge Iron

Raindrop pattern welded billet

Hunter Copelin

A friend of mine bought me a beautiful billet for Christmas. It is a ton of metal! 

This thing is  3/16 thick, 2.25” wide and 10” long. 

Honestly, if this was 1095 I would think I had conservatively 3 knives worth of steel here, but this thing already has the pattern perfectly made out on it. If I Forge this into a couple knives will I ruin the raindrop effect? Or could I potentially make it into an interesting smashed down personalized raindrop billet? Ooorrrr would anyone advise I just draw a full tang 10” knife on it and hit the grinder?

67EC4DC3-15D8-4F4E-A5AD-3152B4F35E6C.jpeg

7A5FB157-9121-4D06-8062-EA2BA2F20836.jpeg

Forging will alter the pattern.  There's not much getting around that.   Perhaps you could cut it lengthwise to get two blanks and forge in the bevels.  With raindrop pattern if you do a lot of stock removal you will probably grind through all of the pattern where you did the deepest grinding anyway. If you forge in the bevels you can keep some of the pattern, but it will elongate in whatever directions the steel "stretches" compared to its current state.

20 hours ago, Buzzkill said:

Forging will alter the pattern.  There's not much getting around that.   

Finding a smith with either a power hammer with big flat dies or a hydraulic press will only make the drops larger, but should keep the round shape.  

• 5 weeks later...

Raindrop is such a beautiful pattern, I've looked at your pics here several times.  Maybe make 1 large drop point Chefs knife out of it, using just convex bevel grinding to preserve the pattern.  Maybe only a 40 or 50% grind.  Maybe use some nice well defined straight grained hardwood on the handle, like old yellow pine  with close dark growth rings.  Zebra wood is also like that.  Just a couple of thoughts.

On 12/30/2018 at 12:53 PM, Hunter Copelin said:

A friend of mine bought me a beautiful billet for Christmas. It is a ton of metal! 

This thing is  3/16 thick, 2.25” wide and 10” long.

And it weighs a TON! :o What did postage set you back on that? 

It's going to need at least 10 handles to be usable at all, you won't need to push down to cut though.

Frosty The Lucky.