I Forge Iron

Very productive day at the forge, and question

I make a lot of flippers out of 1/4 square bar.
First I do the twisting designs with my picket twister.
Next is the handle, the tip is last.
I taper down the last 3 inches to a nice even blunt point. Do not try to make it sharp here as it will burn every time you put in the fire.
I curl the taper on the horn until it is a half circle with about a 2 inch diameter.
Then depending on wether it is a right of left hander, re-heat and lay the stock on the anvil so the half circle hangs off and the point just touches, and lay it over to a 90 deg.
I do the pointing cold with a bench grinder and then I do the finish. I wire wheel them to clean the scale off, heat to color then brush with a brass brush.
Before it is totaly cool, I hit it with linseed oil and wipe down.

Archie,
I have seen the points on the steak turners a couple of different ways. I have made a few and I will put a long socket in the post vise of the diameter that I want the hook. I will heat the turner and bend the point around the socket making a half turn. I will reheat the end of the turner and quickly place it in the vise and bend it to 90 degrees. This has worked well for me.

IMG_7083.JPG
These are right handed and I will turn the point the other way for a left handed turner.
Hope this helps,
Jerry

8432%5D%5Bimg%5D

Archie, no problem. As stated draw a nice sharp point ( then round it if you wish or leave square as forged ). Take a good heat ( pushing the point through the fire and heating the drawn part as well as the original stock ) to a nice HOT, then pull the point into the fire for a few seconds ( pay attention and don't burn the point ). Remove and forge the point on the horn 180

Forks are awkward to use for steaks and such. Actually, BBQ tongs are best for turning meat...that way you don't pierce the meat and let juice out. That said, the hand made meat flippers are popular just because they are different and "cool". I would say that most of the deer antler flippers I've made and given away are never really used much used, just kinda shown off.

Steve

All I can tell you is that I make em and sell em. A LOT OF THEM.
I make singles, matched sets (flipper and fork), long ones, short ones, fancy ones, plain ones.
I have some hanging in my office at the lumber yard and manage to sell about 3 a week.
The hardware store in town wants to buy them to resell.