I Forge Iron

POWER HAMMERS

Can anyone point me in the direction of a book or a source for instructions on the use and adjustments of a 25 lb. little giant power hammer.

I have recently purchased one and have no idea how to use it efectively. I have beat the xxxx out of stuff with it but want to know about how to better control it and come closer to replicating a hand hammer. I realize that I will probally still need to put some finishing touches on the piece with a hand hammer but I got it to hopefully do heaver work with, without the effort required with a hand hammer.

Right now its sort of like being in an automobile accident / I hit the petal and hope for the best outcome. The results so far have been pretty much a somewhat controlled disaster. Also looking for sources for dies, as I only have a set of plow dies now.

Edit: words edited

Sid sells a set of dovetail adaptors that can make it easier to build special dies for your hammer. I got a set for mine and have just started using them. Here is a picture of the adaptors. I'll try to take a picture of my first dies in a few days.

DSCN0442.jpg

Yesteryearforge the little giant power hammer book by richard kern has alot of the info. you need. Very hard to find out of print for some time.I was lucky enough to get a copy from the guy that sold me my 50#er. I have never even seen one on ebay in the 2 years I have had a computer. Was on ebay at noon today and came across a copy just listed today had two bids alreay. This book has great info. and all the history of the company. Has a breakdown of all serial #s by the year. Great little hammer you bought by the way. One more thing I am not the seller of this book nor am I affiliated in any way with the seller.

I found the book "Little Giant Power Hammer" by Richard Kern on Amazon.com for $30.00! Well worth the $$. This was back in July that I purchased mine. Also go to www.umbaonline.org and you can purchase a DVD-R for about $5.00 +$2.00 shipping that has Fred Craylor and Sid teaching a class on rebuilding a LG. This was videoed in 1992 I think but is a good source of info. Shows most everything but machine work.