I Forge Iron

Customer request hammer, but I don't know the purpose

BartW

Hello Guys;

A good customer of mine wanted a specific hammer made.  He wanted a 60°  sharp cross peen back end. Weigh around 1 kilo (2 pounds). He wanted resistant steel; but I don't have any EN9 of C50 or something like that, so I took a piece of this huge coil spring (40 mm diameter rod). It was a bit of a bear to forge straight and to punch the hole; but I pulled it off. I treated it as if it were 5160 - so annealing cycles and all that, hardened in oil completely; then ground it so I could see bare metal; and heated up the drift and put that in the eye untill both the peen and the face were about blue.

This is for all intends and purposes the first hammer I ever made myself by hand. 

However, I have no idea what the form is for ... I'd use it as a chisel.... but it forges quite nicely too. Oh, I epoxied everything together (handle, wedge, eye) and I rubbed the whole hammer with it to prevent it rusting. The handle is boiled linseed oil finised.

greetz; Bart

20181205_210049.jpg

20181205_213551.jpg

20181205_224637.jpg

20181205_224715.jpg

20181205_225237.jpg

Edited by BartW
typo corrections

Well; the customer collected his hammer today, and over a coffee & a whisky, he told me what he wanted the peen like this for.

He wants to work sheet metal (steel & copper), and he wants to shape the peen the way he wants with the specific radius of his choice. 

Well; that works for me. He was happy with his hammer, and I like the design as well. Gonna make a couple for myself :D