I Forge Iron

T Burner getting very hot

ColinHeath

Hello All,

I have attached pictures of my setup to help with discussion. I was running my forge today and being very cautious around the burner not getting too hot as I have rubber hose quite close.

my questions are:

1) Will the burner always get hot right the way through when running for some time and if so, should I be concerned about the burner (I appreciate the rubber hose is an issue)

2) Should I install a long length of copper tube or black iron to keep valve and rubber hose cool and not worry about the burner tube itself?

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks,

Colin

EE2B0B0C-965A-4942-8829-ECC7D8566FE3.jpeg

DE1B8704-DAF6-4391-93DD-3F1E01C2E867.jpeg

30A1A5B4-6DE5-4989-9B95-DB93034D5041.jpeg

Thanks Mikey,

the bire through brick is same bore as outside of flame tube it’s just the picture makes it look off (the black bits is bottom of forge).

Thanks Thomas, i don’t think any burning in the tube as it stays cool for a while before heating up although I had turned down gas pressure so maybe it was burning back into tube?

what sort of burner do you use?

maybe go for side mount like in a foundry?

I am planning to make another forge so no problem to change 

I use a blown burner and 2 differing types of NA burners---depending on the forge.  I will be building a couple of Frosty T burners when I do a total rebuild of my main forge coming up soon---it's about 20 years old now and needs more than the odd relining...The shell is O2 welding tank so it's in grand shape.  The burners are a bit battered as it travels a lot. I think I'm on my 3rd set of regulators with it do to "trauma".

1 hour ago, VainEnd84 said:

Several questions, did you follow the T-burner build instructions exactly? And is the mixing tube galvanized?

No, I made this following other plans before finding this place. The burner runs lovely and assuming heat going back up is due to it being top mounted.

Yes it is galv but it doesn’t get hot enough for that to be a worry (I know risks as I weld and fabricate and have had galv flu before so take it serious)

Thanks Thomas

my next build is a 15kg propane tank and have Kaowool to insulate and will them rigidise and coat to prevent fibres getting out.

im thinking maybe a side mount for burner but wondered if there is a valid reason for top mount as so many do it?