I Forge Iron

Your Father

KevinD

With Fathers Day coming up I thought it would be cool to hear about your father and maybe see pics of your father. :)

My great-grandfather, grandfather and father all worked in the blacksmith shop in Mableton GA. Both of my brothers worked in the shop but it was gone before I came along. :(

These pics are from a plaque my sister made.
1-The plaque
2-Grandfather, Father and 2 brothers
3-Grandfather
4-Father at the release party of Bealers book "The Art of Blacksmithing"

6724.attach

6725.attach

6726.attach

6727.attach

My dad was a great guy really. Did a lot for me and my family. Went for a pack of cigs.s when I was just out of high school and never came back. Changed his name and never knew where he was until after he died and soicial security track ed back and found my mother, he was living in New Orleans so prolly will never find where he was buried.

He was a good father to me when he was around and I have no hard feelings for him leving, but I do wonder sometimes.
I loved him and he loved me. We had good times and hard times.

Here's a picture of my dad, taken in 1958.
He was a true 'jack of all trades........farmer, logger,carpenter,equipment operator, mechanic.etc.

He also kept a little forge behind the barn that he used to repair farm implements.
Helping him was how I got interested in blacksmithing.

scan0031.jpg

The only picture I have of my dad is one from when he was about my age and is one of very few he ever smiled in.

Dad and me wasn't close at all as I was growing up. Even so I learned a lot from him in the way of auto repair, carpentry and other things that I could watch and learn. It wasn't until about 5 years ago that I got dad to go to a church retreat with me. I bribed him in the fact they had a motorcycle show that he could enter his bike into. It was during that weekend that I learned more about my dad and the childhood he had than ever before. It was because of his bad childhood he avoided contact with me hoping it would be better than what he went through, As a boy I just wanted my dad... The last 4 years of his life we became great friends and we shared some great times together. The man I once couldn't stand is now very much missed.

James

6816.attach

My two aunts and my grandfather sometime around 1905 or so, both aunts, my grandfather and the shop are all gone now. when I was young the location of the shop was a movie theater which is now gone too.

My father at the right in 1941 when the shop was first built I believe, I am still in the same shop and have been since 1951.

6817.attach

6818.attach

My Dad is getting on in years now, 75 of them and still counting. Me and him haven't always seen eye to eye but I certainly respect him.
Dad served in Korea in the U.S. Army. He was R.O.T.C. through Canisius college in Buffalo, N.Y. recieving a comission as a 2nd Lieutenant. He served in the 7th infantry division, 32nd regiment and was promoted to First Lieutenant. He never talks about Korea. He then came back stateside and stayed with the Army in the reserves, "Deuce corps" (Quartermasters) where he made Captain and served as commanding officer of the infantry company at Jamestown, N.Y. He left the Army in '56.
He then began a career with the federal government in the I.R.S. which spanned 34 years rising to the level of G.S. 15 as chief of special procedures Buffalo/ Niagara Falls. He was the real-life Elliot Ness. 5 years after quitting smoking a tiny spec was seen on his chest X-ray. Half a lung was removed which subsequently proved to be cancerous. That retired him.
Last month my parents celebrated their 43rd wedding anniversary.
Dad always put everyone else first, raising four children and today enjoying 8 grandchildren.
Dad was the oldest of eight children and had a twin sister who passed 10 years ago.
(Mom was also one of eight children, the youngest).
No we did not always see eye to eye and I certainly gave him a heap of grief in raising me but I wouldn't trade him for the world, he is the chieftan of a very large extended family, our reunions could fill a gymnasium wall to wall.
For many years now since retiring Dad has become quite an expert in geneology, making several trips to Ireland and Scottland in the course of his research. He has traced our ancestors back for many generations with one line recorded back through Germany and Hungary to 950 a.d. He has for many years taught the skills of geneology each month at the Buffalo public library.

Just saw this thread...
My dear Dad will be 85 this Aug.11, the same day our daughter will turn 32! And he has never spent a day in the hospital for any kind of illness! PTL Dad is #8 of 11. Dad is the oldest living of the boys and he has 2 sisters still living, both younger than him. My younger brother, by 16mos. and him still run a consrtuction company. They do residential construction and Robin, my brother FINALLY got him, Dad, to quit climbing up on roofs just last year! Dad grew up on a dairy during the Depression and he says he never knew he was poor. Everyone of that generation I know will say the same thing, amazing. Dad retired from teaching 20something yrs ago. Has a Masters Degree and Administration Certificate. He and Mom traveled with a group called 'Volunteer Christian Builders' until Mom went home to be with her LORD in '96. He served in WWII in the Pacific Theater, came home finished school, got his degree, married, raised 6 of us, 4 boys and 2 girls, yeah, they were spoiled! ;) and had 44yrs 10 1/2mos with Mom. Owned a gas station/garage in Seattle, Wash., where I was born, in the early/mid '50's then moved us back to TEXAS! Family reunions have be continueous since 1922, the yr before he was born, and have been held every year. (It's a BIG deal with him!) Dad taught me how to work, for which I am forever grateful. Had us on the FRONT row at church EVERYTIME the doors were open. Yes he made mistakes, for which he has asked for forgiveness, but who hasn't. We talk on the phone most every Sunday, I get to hear some of the same stories, no, make that ALL of the stories, over and over again. But that's OK with me. I love my Dad and don't miss a chance to tell him so. Sure miss my Mom....

Thanks KevinD for starting this thread....

My Dad was the second of 12 kids growing up on almost no money. He served in WWII and spent his working life as an auto mechanic. He taught me about metal and wood and to duck fast if you had a smart mouth (LOL ). We lost him just four years ago July 20. I sure do miss him.
Finnr

Edited by Finnr
punctuation