I Forge Iron

immigration to the u.s.

Hephaestus

i have no idea about the process on how to do it ,
i do not think it is real complicated though
i am however really delighted that you are considering this prospect .
i LOVE the united states of america , i have reservation however on how other "americans" feel about this great land of ours , including some of our government officials .
where do you intend to live if you are successful in your venture
chuck

You need to talk to a US consulate in Canada. They are *paid* to answer such questions and their answers should be more up to date than anecdotal ones.

In general there is some lag in the system so if you are wanting to move here start the process as early as possible!

Do you have a skill where a company would spot you for an H1 visa?

Have you though of marrying into the states?

Some of our neighbors are having to go back to Canada after almost twelve years because he doesn't have a job. He just invest in America. He develops raw land into subdivisions. That is he puts up the money for others to do that. He lends money to small time developers that up until a few months ago were the type that would build ten to twenty houses. He also has rental house but not what the government considers a job. Pays his taxes, all of them, supports little league and goes to church, pays all his own medical bills but is not deemed worthy to stay here any longer. Has to go back to Canada and apply for citizenship. Seems he has no job title that is necessary for the USA right now. Go figure, I guess he can't ride a mower. That is one of the prices of 9/11.

I can leave all I want, aye. I just can't get into anywhere. I've tried both Canada and the UK, and neither will accept me because I am not 'a skilled worker'. Essentially, I was told to complete my Nursing degree, which would qualify me for a skilled workman's visa, and then go about it.

• 4 months later...

well, i'm from west texas so i bout 1/2 mexicano anyway-but they really lockin down borders here- used to just go cross with no problems, but now, ya needs a passport. good luck on your endevour...i met a few canooks and most is good folks,so if ya get here welcome,but be prepared ...there lots of red tape and paperwork...good luck,jimmy