I Forge Iron

My first sword build underway

45-70nut

Welcome aboard 45-70, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the gang live within visiting distance. 

Nice job. How'd you heat and what did you quench in?

Frosty The Lucky.

There was a Toledo blade at the Army Museum, (now in Toledo) that was bent into a multipass spiral and then inset into a block of wood to  keep it from springing straight again.

Lead Cutting, I believe there was a test mentioned in "Practical Blacksmithing" for military swords.

Splitting an Adam  was a test for katanas....

Practical Blacksmithing: Vol 3 pg 150: contains a paragraph on swordmaking at Solingen , Germany and the testing they did. (Note: Hearsay at best!)

Sword Blades.

Sword blades are made and tempered so that they will chip a piece out of a stone without showing a nick upon their edges, says a gentleman who has been through the great sword manufactory at Soligen, Germany. The steel, he says, is cut from bars into strips about two and one-half inches wide, and of the re- quired length, by a heavy cutting machine. These are carried into the adjoining forge room, where each piece is heated white, hammered by steam so that about twenty blows fall upon every part of its surface, and then thrown into a barrel of water. Afterward these pieces are again heated in a great coke lire, and each goes through a set of rolls, which reduce it to something like the desired shape of the weapon. The rough margins are trimmed off the piece of steel in another machine, and there is left a piece of dirty, dark-blue metal shaped like a sword, and ready for grinding. This is done on great stones, revolved and watered by machinery, the workmen having to be the most expert that can be obtained, as the whole fate of the sword is in their hands. It is afterward burnished on small wheels managed by boys from twelve to sixteen years old, and when it has been prepared to re- ceive the fittings of the handles, is ready for testing, which has to be done with great care. Any fault in the work is charged to the workman responsible for it, and he has to make it good. It is said that any blade which will not chip a piece out of a stone without showing a nick on itself is rejected.

On 10/10/2018 at 2:09 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Splitting an Adam  was a test for katanas....

How did Eve feel about that?

16 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

It is said that any blade which will not chip a piece out of a stone without showing a nick on itself is rejected.

Basalt or pumice?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've never heard of  a pell until now, but i will deffinatly be making one outdoors this spring. The blade is heavy but is incredibly sharp. All you can feel is the flex when blowing through frozen milk jugs of water. 

I had planned on making a riser between the upper and lower portions of handle but ultimately went with the strongest and most simple way I could.