I Forge Iron

ID Anvil

So my dads boss has an anvil, he said he’d never sell it and all that. It was his grandfathers or his dads or something. Not sure about how much it was used. Well they finally moved it and he said he’d sell it for $500. I’m guessing he can get it cheaper than that and also be able to pay little at a time until it’s paid off. He’s going to clean it up, check rebound and flatness of face and send me more pictures. Any ideas on what kind it is from these two pictures though?C6157EF9-273B-4BF0-8C07-7B8D3B48BC04.jpeg.f03085918f495cf6993212b29fc25a46.jpeg

The forks it’s between are from a skid steer, I’m not sure on the size but I’m guessing over 200lbs

BC606932-D870-457E-AAD5-E225E08AEA4B.jpeg

Don’t know the maker, I’m sorry.

What is that black junk flaking off?

Was it buried in mud?

Buried in old vegetation that rotted?

MAKE SURE THAT ITS NOT BURNT MATERIAL ON THERE.

If it was in a barn fire, tossed in a bonfire, whatever, you will need to testextra and pay close attention.

Im not trying to be chicken little with the sky falling, I can’t see the pictures well enough on my phone to tell what the black stuff around the heel is.

Also ask if you can wire brush it real good, appears to have a super heavy oxidation layer, you want to know what is going on under there.

I think it was in the dirt, I’ll know more when I talk to my dad again. Pretty sure that’s mud all over it. He should be able to wire wheel it. I’m thinking it could be a Peter wright but I’m not sure. I can kind of see flat spots on the feet under the mud. Seems to be the same shape as my PW

Once it’s clean though I’ll put more pictures. 

Assuming the fork tine is maybe 4" wide, I could use dividers or a scale and estimate the size unfortunately the there's too much angle in the perspective. 

I've got to use eyeball guestimation and say around 200 lbs. is probably a good guess. If so and it had good rebound I'd call it a deal and mow lawns or sweep driveways to pay it off if I had to.  Or forge marketable items for sale. 

Remember the sound of a hammer on it is secondary to how high a bearing bounces back. If it's good $500 is probably a deal, maybe a SWEET DEAL.

Of course I usually don't care about the brand name I'm only really interested in how good it is tool wise. That said, if It' a Soderfors, GRAB IT QUICK!

Frosty The Lucky. 

Yeah, I figured around or maybe a little over 200. Either way that’s what I told my dad if it’s got good rebound, the face looks in good condition and I think he would have noticed any cracks by now. Guess I’m lucky enough that my dad looks for stuff like this for me. Even though I already have a decent anvil. A 161lb PW, got a little droop on one side of the face and edge but it’s still got plenty of good workspace on it. Also don’t have to worry about it being sold from underneath me, cause he didn’t even want to sell it for the last 2 years. Guessing my dad just talked about it enough he assumes it will go to someone who will appreciate it. 

It looks like it was half buried in the pig pen out back :lol:  He'll have to really clean that face up good before testing the rebound because in it's current condition I bet you get 4 and 5 inch rebounds from 10 inches because of all the rust and crud when in fact it might return 8 or 9 once all cleaned up.  I wish you the best of luck, it looks like a great anvil.

1 hour ago, MC Hammer said:

It looks like it was half buried in the pig pen out back :lol:  He'll have to really clean that face up good before testing the rebound because in it's current condition I bet you get 4 and 5 inch rebounds from 10 inches because of all the rust and crud when in fact it might return 8 or 9 once all cleaned up.  I wish you the best of luck, it looks like a great anvil.

Yeah, it was laying heel down in the ground. Once he wire wheels it I’ll have some better pictures and be able to say what the rebound is. Should be able to get an accurate weight on it as well.