I Forge Iron

While my other forge is on hold...

Ouchmysciatica

Before you get it built, a wood/ charcoal forge works better with a side blast than a bottom blast, as in LOTS better.

A screw cap isn't a great ash dump, sure they work but unscrewing it is a PITA. An exhaust flap cap works a treat and they clamp on, just buy one the same diameter as the pipe in your tuyere. The counter weight keeps the flap closed and you can reach under the forge with anything long enough and flip the weight up dumping the ash. If you get a little serious popping from unburned volatiles collecting in the tuyere and igniting it'll just open the ash dump and clear the tuyere instead of shifting the fire or even throwing coals. 

Frosty The Lucky.

13 hours ago, Meadowgrove said:

Side blast info and illustrations by Charles R. Stevens

I started out with a bottom blast tire rim forge, or should I say FSO. I didn't even bother to line it with anything, just filled it to the brim with wood chunks. Don't do this. :D

That sounds like a beach party bonfire to me. :o Thomas' technique of having a wood fire close and shoveling live coals into his forge fire is much more survivable to stand near.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi Joe, this is a ‘steel’ wheel rim (melting temperature at <2500°F) and not a brake drum (melting temperature at +2800°F). So a real brake drum will last much longer. The sketch you mention talk about a brake drum not a rim.

Don’t be afraid to ask we really like to help you.

Your sincerely, Hans

DSC00445.JPG

DSC00448.JPG

DSC00450.JPG

DSC00466.JPG

DSC00472.JPG

DSC00470.JPG

I did not think about a brake drum!!

Although, I had the rim available. I dont have a larger brake drum available. 

Thank you guys soo much this helps alot. Glad I came here! I did post an issue I was having with the blower so far this is where I am with the forge...

I'm looking into making it into a side blast now lol

15362576504495363564750171301363.jpg

15362576895194334519581912115901.jpg