I Forge Iron

Blacksmith's truck

jayco

This is the tailgate on my old '88 Ford pickup. If you're familiar with this model of truck, you may already know that the tailgate latches for these were notorious for breaking prematurely.

Needless to say, I hadn't had the truck very long when I pulled too hard and snapped the potmetal latch like it was glass. I intended to replace it with a regular latch, until I discovered they cost $40 (This was back when $40 meant something money wise)

Anyway, I replaced the broken latch with these two curved handles made from 1/4 in. round. Pull on the left hook........it releases the right side... and vice-versa.

It's a great conversation piece as well, when I go to the feed store or lumber yard, I'm the only one knows how to open it!

Anyone else ever modify your vehicles?

James Flannery

6570.attach

When in UK I had a Land Rover. They are all different and heavily customised. So we always look at each other's vehicles. I was looking at one on the road where I worked. I noted his tow hitch was the same as mine, then that he had the same aluminiumn plate on the wings. It was fully 5 minutes before I realised that I was looking at my own vehicle. I had driven in rather than taking the train.

my tailgate has a dent in it where I hip bump it to latch one side.

The back bumper also has a side that is a bit rumpled as my daughter backed into a post with it, (new driver), and I made her help remove it from the truck and bring it into the shop and use the screwpress to straighten it back out. Could have probably made it almost perfect but as I told her "The truck is 18 years old and is used by a blacksmith, cosmetics are not worth the time"

Bumpersticker: yellow and black stripes and "Weird Load"

My Chevy has a problem with the latch also but I am able to reach in and squeeze the levers to open it, it's good since no one else can open it so if I have anything in the back that requires the gate be open to get it out I don't have to worry about anyone steeling it, not only that but it's the little things like that which give a truck that " it's my truck" feeling, you know the little flaws that you come to love about a good truck. There's not much more important than a good truck in life.

welder19

I have an '88 Ford too, but my tailgate is still in fine working order. The only fault I ever had with that truck was the paint job. After about one year, the paint started peeling off. Ford paid for the new paint job but wasn't happy.

I had an '88 also. Tailgate worked ok for me. Got a little rusty, but ran great when we gave it to our pastor about two years ago. I really miss the staight six and granny low stick. Didn't do any smithing mods to it, but it hauled anything I threw at it without a wimper.

Take care, Craig

Thomas . .

Working for a living. That's what I love about old iron . . . just a little attention and they keep on running.

Put a ton of rock in her a few months ago - settled down on the springs and it drove better than when she's empty.

Thanks Don!

I've had it for about 12 years - didn't have to do much - freshened up the brakes and a 12v conversion - after that, just regular maintenance stuff.

The pic is over-flattering - she's got plenty o' scars and warts but overall really solid.

Later in the day the pic was taken we pulled the rest of our hay from the field.
I put it in granny - fastened a bungie from the steering wheel to the clutch pedal, hopped out and walked beside her loading bales as she chugged along. The kids who were helping us load got quite a kick out of it!

• 2 weeks later...

That old '88 Ford with the funny tailgate handle has 216,000 miles on it.......nothing done to the engine in all those miles, and still runs good.

I also have an '80 model 3/4 chevy pickup with 350.......79,000 actual miles.........but it LOVES GAS! Lately, the chevy stays close to home.

My blacksmith's truck is a 1972 Chevy Camper Special, C-20 Custom DeLuxe with 89K original miles. The Camper Special means it is really a 1 ton in sheep's clothing. 1 ton axle and leaf springs on a '72 mean C-30 in most cases:)
I have pulled a 7000# trailer load with little trouble. It also had a forged dragon with spread wings and a BarBie doll riding the on the shoulders as a hood ornament.

My blacksmith's truck is a 1972 Chevy Camper Special, C-20 Custom DeLuxe with 89K original miles. The Camper Special means it is really a 1 ton in sheep's clothing. 1 ton axle and leaf springs on a '72 mean C-30 in most cases:)
I have pulled a 7000# trailer load with little trouble. It also had a forged dragon with spread wings and a BarBie doll riding the on the shoulders as a hood ornament.