I Forge Iron

aluminum firepot

what if my fire pot is an old aluminum drain but is quater inch thck?

what is the chance itll melt the aluminum?

i will replace it if it does melt but i allreaddy built it and just need to test it.. when i finised i realised it may be aluminum...:(

Dan's right........If your firepot is indeed aluminum........don't use it at all!
My experience with molten metals tells me that if you were to test it, everything would seem allright until the fire reached melting temperature for the aluminum.....around 1600 degrees if I remember correctly,

Anyway, the aluminum would melt SUDDENLY!.......fall to the floor and splash in all directions..........I wouldn't do it.

STOP NOW!!!!! before it drops its bad with iron but alum i dont even want to see that bill

DONT TEST IT WHAT EVER YOU DO IT WILL NOT END WELL FIND SOMETHING ELSE THIS WILL HURT YOU THE ALUM WILL LIKELY IGNITE AS DAN SAID

just take the drain out and trade it for stock a brakedrum or somethong else you can use. I melt 1/4 inch alum plate shreds for casting. it melts in a coal fired furnace in a little under a miniute in a crucable and i have had it ignite before

just listen to dan and any others this is not safe i appoligise for being ro repetive but this is really not a good idea and you will likely be injured if not mamed

sorry for the rant

If you are unsure if it may be aluminum you would be wise to listen to everyones advice. You can check it with a magnet or a grinder to be sure. If a magnet is not attracted to it, or there are no sparks when you hit it with a grinder then it is most likely aluminum or magneseum. If so it's a no go, and not worth the damage that it will cause. It is worth checking though because there is an outside chance that it might be stainless. If it is stainless it will be slightly magnetic and will produce a dull oarnge spark when touched with a grinder. You can never be sure unless you check, but if you can't be sure always lean twords saftey.

Brake drums may suck and are heavy annoying chunks of steel, but golly gee, they make safe firepots. Savvy?

Often, you don't even have to go to a junkyard for one, the local tire and brake shop will fix you up with an old used one if you ask nice.

Edited by nett
yes

3rd degree burns about the lower legs are very painful, not to mention the resulting 2nd and first degree burns from the cloth of your pants igniting, and I am not going to mention the pain involved if some of that hot molten aluminum gets in the top of your shoes.