I Forge Iron

Hand Crank Blowers

acoop101

Does anyone have a source for a new hand crank blower? I was hoping to make a forge I could take off the grid but I haven't been able to find a source for blowers, I was considering getting a 12 volt blower but I'd rather not if possible.

Thanks for you input in advace
acoop101

Howdy acoop101.

I once owned a lot on Lake Nacimiento in the 70's. . . :confused:

Try contacting the CBA. smithing tools are available in S. Cal. but not common and they're generally expensive.

Frosty

If you truly must have a brand new handcrank blower there is one offered in the Vaughans (hope works) online catalog from the UK. An online search will bring you to them. Pricey.
Try posting a want ad here in the IFI tailgating section.
Perhaps you could fabricate one of your own from scratch. If you are into blacksmithing then apparently you are posessing of some degree of mechanical aptitude and ingenuity. Put these skills to work and see what you can come up with.
The drive train of a multi speed bicycle could be a good starting point.
Imagine. Concieve. Experiment. Good luck. Dan:)

I haven't really because of the space constraint, if it wern't so much of a concern I would.

Frosty could you give me a link to CBA's website?

This is their listing on the ABANA affiliate page.

Frosty

CALIFORNIA BLACKSMITH'S ASSOCIATION

Pres: Herb Upham
4747 Vine Hill Road
Sebastopol, CA 95472-2236
(707) 823-1251
herbu@cds1.net

Ed: Eden Sanders
620 Angels Rd., RR 3
San Andreas, CA 95249
(209) 754-1502
editor@calsmith.org

www.calsmith.org
Spring Conference April 24-27, Vista, CA. See events calendar or website.

A smaller type bellows that works well is an accordion style I don't recall a name though. They move vertically and have a pretty small foot print. The produce about the same amount of air as a hinged bellows because the two halves hinging makes less air per sq/ft.

Nice looking tire hammer, how's it work?

Frosty

I finally added some new photos in the gallery. Here is the forge as it is today with the bottom mounted bellows. Compact and efficient.
Gobbler
shop - Blacksmith Photo Gallery

Thanks for the updated pix.

You have one seriously clean shop! Have you sought help for that? :rolleyes:

I notice you had the consultants in on building the tire hammer. What do they charge, our's usually settle for a good ear scratchin but an occasional biscuit is appreciated for special services.

Frosty

Thanks. The shop is always clean. Every day that I make a mess, I clean at the end of the day. Tools get put away and the floor gets cleaned. I can open the whole east wall with garage doors and I "LOVE" my leaf blowers. start at the back wall and blow towards the doors. Less than a minute and the shop is clean. It keeps from tracking dirt and grinder dust and scale, by me or the "consultants", towards the house. Sorry man. Been that way my whole life. As for the consultants, there is a coffee can with "cookies" under the bench at all times.
Gobbler