I Forge Iron

Bluetooth headset interference

GlennB

I often have my Bluetooth headset (JBL Everest  100s) on under my ear muffs while I'm working in the shop. While forging, there is no issue. When I am grinding (2 x 36 or angle grinder), I experience stuttering until the machine is powered off. Has anyone experienced this or found a solution? 

The first radio transmitters were arc based.  And I think that I read that they are now banned due to the wide splatter of frequencies they output (there was no one else to share the spectrum of radio frequencies with back in those pioneering days).  Every time you pull the switch you are creating a local radio transmitter.  I don't think there is any practical way to prevent the Bluetooth interference.

Alan -- K1ALN

Would it make a difference, PaperPatched, if the Bluetooth frequencies were in a different range? I know that would have to be an industry wide agreement to deal with said issue. Also, I reckon, this kind of problem is so limited as to not pose a concern for any of the manufacturers. Thanks! 

This is what happens when manufacturers work the Bluetooth at too high a temperature and don't normalize properly before tempering. The larger grain structure picks up those random vibrations from the motors and turns it into static. 

Write to the manufacturer and tell them that they need to practice proper edge packing on their products in future.

Glen, I think you are right about power tool interference to Bluetooth being too small a problem for manufacturers to worry about.  As it is the level of background "noise" increases all the time.  The FCC is charged with dealing with radio interference, but is so strapped with bigger problems that this problem will probably never see any attention.  The switching power supplies in LED light bulbs and other consumer electronics are posing quite a problem for ham radio (Amateur Radio). Manufacturers seem to pay little attention to complying with FCC regulations, and the FCC is so under funded that they cannot deal with it all.  I'm no expert at radio interference so don't know if there is any practical way to deal with it in regards to Bluetooth. The size of Bluetooth devices makes conventional avenues such as shielded cables and wrapping cables through  ferrites  impossible (at least at my skill level).

Alan

• 4 weeks later...

Cover the receiver in your headset in tinfoil (I used aluminum tape) and leave an opening pointing towards your player. I keep my phone in my pocket so it was straight down in my case. 

Doesn’t solve everything but helps alot.

be prepared however because the amount of tinfoil headset jokes in your future will be numerous.