I Forge Iron

First double side burner... and have questions

DungeonX

Hi All,

I am new and from Ontario Canada. I just started gathering the pieces to construct my first burner for my 20lb propane tank forge. i got 14T mig tips but they seem like they will be too small for the 1/8" schedule 80 pipe and that's before threading. what should I do? I'm having trouble finding a 1.25" x 1.25" x .75" reducing tee. And I have red handle plumbing ball valves,can I use those or do I need to find gas ball valves .25". I will probably come up with more questions. 

20180713_190616.jpg

Who's burner plans are you following? Those don't look like they're good performers, especially using a bushing reducer to connect the T and the mixing tube. It's going to disrupt the smooth flow and inhibit induction. 

Were I you I'd look up better "Side arm" type burner plans. Try Wayne Coe's site, he also has proven plans for a 20 lb. propane tank forge.  

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you for the help Frosty. I have gotten to a larger city and have been able to get 2 of the proper ward reducing tees, and I am ordering 2 SS Flares from Zoeller forge. My biggest problem now is that the 14t mig tips seem to be to small for the 1/8" black pipe. Any ideas for me?

You're welcome, it's my pleasure. 

I'm afraid I'd have to lay my hands on the parts to be of much specific help. I live in a relatively small city, REALLY big for Alaska but small for most of the world and I have trouble finding fittings that match up like I expect. The brass fitting I use as an adapter to mount the mig contact tip in and connect to the copper tubing supply line is getting almost impossible to find in a useful form. Low bid suppliers so they aren't consistent anymore and the ID isn't important to the intended purpose of the fittings. 

I'm afraid this is where you need to put on your creative improvisor's cap. If you can keep them aligned well enough you can silver solder the mig tips in. Or maybe fill the end of the pipe nipple with silver solder then drill and tap. The second will be harder to keep straight though.

You might try different suppliers check the thread size of the mig tips they carry. Yeah, they vary by brand and in some cases within a brand. Thinking about it I don't know what a 14t mig tip is, metric probably. Yes? Our good luck threading 1/8" pipe directly to fit mig tips are SAE threads 1/4" x 27tpi. It may not work for a metric pitch thread, I don't know.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty and Dungeon, 

I looked up the 14T tip, it is a Tapered #14 Tweco.

Factory manual states that it is a standard UNF 1/4-28 thread, so I’m not sure why a schedule 80 1/8” pipes ID is too large to tap. 

Is it possible you got 11 T tips accidentally?They are 6mm which IS smaller, or that your pipe is actually schedule 40?

Best

Steve

I have 14T mig tips but they are not "tweco" they have an "ms" stamp on them. I asked at the pipe cutting shop for 1/8" schedule 80 and I believe that's what they gave me. I was thinking about getting and end cap and drilling and tapping it to screw the mig tip in to.