I Forge Iron

Original drawings of my forge!

Here is the original drawings and patent # with the inventor's description. CLUTCHING DEVICE FOR FORGES - Google Patents

I hope to finish 'restoring' it this weekend. Will sandblast, paint, and line the pan with a refractory. I do not have the hood as shown and the lever is mounted close to the pan. All else is as drawn. I think this is SO COOL!! Plan to post before and after pictures soon.

Don't you just love a patent server?

Are you going to print it out and hang it somewhere?

I don't know how many times I've found the device or mechanism I needed by searching them. Now Google has made it reasonable and easy to do.

Congratulations Thomas.

Frosty

It took me a while to figure out what the heck a clutching device was then it hit me square in the face, or in this case, it wouldn't hit me in the face if I had the patented clutching device. I look forward to the photographs.

Larry, think of it is as a freewheel on a racing bicycle. Flywheel/pulley wheel "C" (rear wheel on bicycle) can spin on momentum even after if the lever "M" (pedals) is stopped. The clutch is the freewheel hub.

That's the best I can do with my pea-brain on a Friday afternoon with a triple digit temperature outside.

Larry, just to expand nett's explanation, the actual clutch mechanism is a pair of opposed direction, high single pitch screws that mate together when rotated in one direction, and part in the opposite direction. The screw attached to the lever is sprung to push onto the other, which is at a fixed depth but free to rotate (and thus transmit power furthre down the drive train). When the operator moves the lever down, the screws engage and the power is transmitted to the flywheel and the blower. Whenthe downwards movement of the lever falls below that of the second screw, the first screw is forced away, and the flywheel is allowed to continue turning as it will. The lever can of course be raised up again, also not affecting the speed of the flywheel. A very simple and effective solution.

Yes, like a Bendix clutch in a starter. My first encounter with a Bendix was on my bicycle, it had a Bendix coaster brake. New Departure and Bendix were the names back in my days, Bendix had the brake shoes while New Departure used the slip washers. We used to spit on the hubs after a run down the mountain road, it would sizzle. Cheap entertainment.

Wow,

The Google patent search utility is AWESOME. So much easier to use than the USPTO site. I just blew 45 minutes playing around with it. Found my firepot patent, then looked up the inventor name, there is so much to research using this. Thanks Thomas for letting me know about it with your post. Can't wait to get some sleep and play with it more later.

aaron c.