I Forge Iron

finding inspiration at the forge?

I'm very new to blacksmithing, been pounding hot iron for just a little more than a year. I'm finding it very difficult to come up with new things. For a while making square-stock round and round-stock square was very rewarding. I learned how to make things pointy, scrolls, and the like. But now it seems that I sometimes stand at the forge and kind of stare at the fire and wounder what to do next, so I make a chisel or work on a pair of tongs (I'm still trying to perfect that skill, I blame the same part of my brain that makes me think d's and b's are the same letter-yes tell me that each piece is identical all you want, but for some reason that message dosen't get through from my hand to the hammer, I know, I need more practice, maybe I should make a low priority higher on my list). I've made many of my tools, and continue to do so, and if someone tells me that they need this or that I can mostly meet their needs (heh, unless it's a pair of tongs). But I have trouble imagining myown things to create. What processes do you go through to come up with new creations? I've found wonderful inspiration by looking at other people's work, yes, if I want a belt buckle like so-and-so's I probably can make something similar to it, same with a candle stand, etc. I'm not looking for any sort of "hang in there son" or "don't worry, it'll come." I know I might sound discouraged, I'm realy not, eight hours at the forge still feels like ten minutes, I'm just looking for suggestions to get over the creativity hump.

Dennis

Creativity is one of those things that varies greatly from one smith to the other 10 smiths will do the same thing differently and each one has a look and personality of its own.

Best way is get some paper and a pencil and doodle, one thing leads to another and pretty soon you have something you like that you can go create at the forge.

Start out with simple things and then figure out ways to combine things into more creative things.

You might start perfecting your ability to make scrolls, make many different and varied examples, then hang on wall to use as more or less patterns. Nice thing about patterns is you can actually pick a pattern and see how it will look integrated into your project.

Another good exercise when you get some patterns that you like made is to try and make 4 or 5 of the same thing and see how close you can get them to each other or the pattern.

One thing to remember, is to get one of those hard cover blank books or a spiral bound note book and put down the measurements for each piece of iron in a project and if you number or label your patten scrolls you will always know how much stock to start with. Be meticulous in writing down everything and sketch the finished product as you may want to make another just like it someday or someone may see one of your projects and decide they can't live without one. Presto you have a pattern with measurements already.

IForgeIron.com is a good place to start. Point your browser and push a few buttons. There are lots of photos places there that can give you ideas.

BP 0125 Wolfe Head
There are several ideas in the Blueprints section. Just remember that we present those Live each Tuesday NIght, see the opening page of IForgeIron for details.

IForgeIron.com > real time is a fast moving place to brag a bit on your work and to also inspire others.

There are many other photos of projects scattered through the site.

Give the folks here some idea of what you looking for and they can provide you a wealth if information on the subject.

And although these look like advances projects, they just take a little practice. The smith can walk you through the wolfe head or making the knife but it is much like making tongs, you struggle with your first pair, the second gets only a bit easier, and at some point the light bulb comes up to full power and you realize that it is easy. The difference is practice and several tries at making that project.

Some other ideas are:
BP0003, BP0019, BP0069, BP0071,

BP0084, BP0085, BP0110, BP0118,

BP0119, BP0155.

These are all blueprints and the blueprint number is beside the photo. This way you can look up that blueprint and it will give you detailed how to instruction of making that specific project.

If any of you folks have ideas or projects that you think would help him to break through the creativity barrier, please post them. He is not in the boat alone as we all stall out at one time or another.

Some people don't have vision. That doesn't make you bad, just human. I've been a hobbiest smith going on 15 years and I still draw a blank when looking for projects. So I have lots of picture books. If I see it, I can usually make it or figure out how. If a need arises, I have no problem finding the answer. I don't start the forge without a project in mind. I equate it to going to the wood shop without a project in mind and just "cutting up a bunch of boards". It wouldn't happen. As far as the vision goes, you probably accel in other areas. Most builders work from a print drawn by someone else who couldn't build. Very few people have all the tools. Enjoy and keep looking at pictures. Brad

I don't doodle until after I have made a piece, although I do keep good notes about how much stock goes into a piece before I make it.

I agree with Gobbler about not going to the forge without plans or ideas. I usually have a pile of pics from my computer that I use to begin a project, although unless I have a specific new item to make that I don't already have in my personal design book, that is becoming more infrequent.

Surfing the web for other smiths ideas, and of course here at IforgeIron , or getting a bunch of books with pictures will help. The secret here is to work out the methods that were used to create the pieces that you find and then once you have mastered the processes, the inspiration for your own adaptions will come. At the forge while working ,but only after you have made a few copies or attempts at copies of other works.

There really are few new ideas , just new interpretations anyway. Finding your own often is a matter of findin what you need first. Early on in my blacksmith career I needed lantern hooks. Hence a series of about a hundred hooks were made, the first 25 or so sucked, the next 25-50 sucked less and so on. Now I have orders for hooks for Historical Societies. My own interpretation of an old design.

And unless you show up at a show with one of my proprietary ideas EXACTLY copied, then I am never afraid of competition from other smiths. Use my work as insiration, it ain't plagiarism or whatever if you use if for ideas to improve upon.

DENNIS-- I have for years and years wondered why I did not get the GIFTED talent that some others have. It is in fact a GIFT.

We can aquire different skills and be copycats. You can mix and match different things and come up with some thing original.

To be totally first time ever, creative, is very hard unless you are GIFTED.

It is like being faster on foot or a truely good artist. It is a GIFT.

After saying that, I have acquired a certain amount of expertise, in a couple of different mediums. It just ain't as easy for me as it is for the GIFTED.Big Old Grin.

Chuck

Something I've done just recently to overcome the "what do I want to do now?" syndrome was to make a project list of everything I want to make and post it on a corkboard in my shop. That way, when I'm at the forge and I am wondering what to do, I just study the list and pick a project.
I actually have several lists posted now: Blacksmithing, woodworking and general metal fabricating projects. Since I'm also into rendezvousing, my blacksmithing is primarily focused in that area. That list contains more than 20 items and is still growing.
I develop the lists on my computer and save them so I can easily update them and reprint new lists as needed.
Unfortunately, they can also serve as a reminder of what should have been done already and how little I get accomplished!

I think I should have probably prefaced my earlier post with the observation that sometimes it's not creativity that keeps you from starting a project, or knowing what you want to next, it's deciding what you want to do to begin with. Most of my project ideas or designs come to me away from the forge. If I have the time, I'll stop right where I am and jot it down, 'cause if I don't I'll forget it.

Much of my creativity comes from a concept I call "muddling". I just start with a simple idea and jump right in and work on it. I don't like to plan too much as it seems to box me in and stiffle my creativity. After making an item ideas usually start to pour out of my brain. I'll implement these ideas and the process repeats itself. Sometimes the design I end up with is nothing like what I first thought of. Some of the ideas work out great and sometimes they reaaly suck. They main point is to just get to work and try stuff - to "muddle" thru the project. There is something about "doing" that generates more ideas than just thinking - at least for me.

I recently used this approach when friend wanted me to make some candle sticks that would be inserted into empty wine bottles. She showed me a simple fabricated one that she bought somewhere that held two candles. I told her I would make 4 of them and they would all be different. I had no idea at the time what they would look like. I gathered up a bunch of scrap pieces and started to play with different methods to hold a candle above a drip pan. It was was a fun evening project. She used them at a party and I got orders for eight more from a few of her guests.

I use this same approach when writing computer softare and building indoor rock climbing walls. I built 15,000 sq ft of 30ft high climbing walls and my plans consisted of really bad sketchs on napkins from the pizza place next door drawn while eating lunch.

I went to the ABANA website and found the "26 skills required for a journeyman smith" and I work on one of the new ones when I get a chance.
I am nearly finished with a fireplace screen that is made of "S" and "C" hooks, forged rings, spirals, etc. Just stuff that I cut up, pounded out and filled the required space. It started to look a little like a sunflower so I pounded out some good sized leaves to stick in there, too.

that's not to say I don't have "smith's block" but the above advice about an iforgeiron project, or an anvilefire demo, is a good route to take. There's usually at least a couple different skills involved in each project and you'll probably want/need to do them a couple times each.

It gets a little annoying at times, but soliciting ideas from family and friends puts you in the shop working metal and they have a pretty, hand-made gift in exchange for a good idea. Then they won't leave you alone... it's kind of a catch-22 :)

Good luck!!

I like to look at all my wife's home decorating catologs and or just about any catalog she gets and I don't just look at whats being advertised but in the background too. Whan I see something that says make me I make a note about it or a quik sketch or tear out the page and add it to my scrapbook (just make sure she's done with the magezine before you start tearing it up). Oh! something else I forgot any womens magezine on the rack at the supermarket. Iwas watching csi last week and my wife said look at that mirror and sure enough another idea any way thats some of the things I do to come up with ideas I just wish that my skill level matched my idea levels but I'm getting there it just takes practice

Buck
"if opportunity doesn't Knock build a door"

Some days you the Coyote, some days you the post. :) try some non plated brace wire ( #9 ) or some 1/8 x 1/2. Bend stuff cold with your hands. Bend it cold in the vise. TAKE NOTES. Envision a scroll and make it cold with a pair of pliers. Draw on your welding table with chalk. Pencil and paper are handy. Take notes. Glenn is right, sometimes you just need to browse ( this site is absolutely great considering blueprints and members own stuff on their pics areas ). ( gasp ) look at those junk iron chinese pamphlets/catalogs that come this time of year ( " genuine wrought iron " ). :) Hunt Squirrel. Drink coffee. Sometimes I see stuff in my head, sometimes not. I get major mental blocks from time to time. I have a customer that gives me orders for stuff that blow my mind sometimes. Eat dessert first. Keep a sense of hunor. Spend time with your family. Surprisingly, these things just happen sometimes, sometimes not. As has been stated, some have the gift, some don't. The " Arts and Crossant crowd " sees things in a different perspective than us black iron beaters sometimes. Read books. Take them with a grain of salt. THis place is FULL of talented folks. It'll happen bud, keep at it :P vintage firearms are nice to look at. so are Historical websites ( read wartime or just mountian man stuff ). Be well.

I have a book called "Iron and Brass Implements of the English House" that I can look through without getting an urge to make something out of it.

For an ongoing project how about getting a copy of "Knives and Scabbards, Museum of London" and forge all their examples starting with #1 and going through #310 when ever you are staring at the forge and don't know what to do...

Thomas

Dennis, I recomend getting some books, and ordering some catalogs, Not sure what kind of smithing you do. Depending on what you want to do you might pick up log home catalogs, restoration hardware catalogs , tool catalogs, home decorating catalogs and gardening catalogs. Always lots of good stuff in those ... here is a link for some good books

http://www.artisanideas.com/Results.tpl?rnd=7197&cart=A7949E44-527D-4157-A13B-91CDBA95B18B&category=2&startat=1