I Forge Iron

Just bought this vise... How'd I do?

JW513

Bought it on craigslist.... Only paid $80 for it. I don't know much about them, because i'm still new to blacksmithing.. But I know enough to know I need one.. Can't find any writing on it. Its probably 35-40lbs... Not huge, but it will suffice. 

Anyone know what kind this is? 

output (1).jpg

output (2).jpg

output (3).jpg

output.jpg

My bad, I meant to put that info.. its 38 and 3/4 inches long.  The jaws are 4 inches wide. It seems to open smooth, but could use some grease. I'm also curious how old it could be,. I cant find anything written on it. 

Are the square threads nice and square or showing wear?

Is there a mortise under the spring? 

Does the bearing bolt have a nut or a wedge to hold it in place.

Most likely under 150 years old if no mortise; postvises  were still being sold in the Sears Roebuck catalog about 110 years ago (1908 is the most recent one I have a reprint of)

Check the screwbox for stamping too.

What Thomas said. If the screw and box are good the rest is pretty easy to fix or make. Looks complete so in my area that's be a good purchase pending screw condition.  Unless you do clean it up and find marks or can distinguish a trait of other known vises then it's hard to say age. Function is the main thing. 

It doesn't help that usually the most distinctive part of the vise is the screwbox and they got traded from vise to vise at times---you could even buy replacement ones from Sears Roebuck at one time.  I've married a good screw and screwbox from a bad vise body to a good vise body with a bad screw and screwbox before myself.

I recently bought a leg vise and got it set up. It looks almost identical to yours. 

When I first got it the jaws were really stiff and wouldn't spring open when I unwound the threads. I just took it all apart which may seem daunting at first but is really simple, take photos so you know what goes where and then it's just common sense. Once I had it apart I just scraped away the old crud and greased it all up a bit. Put it all together and bibbity bobbety boo. 

If it's still stiff there are videos on youtube for fixing the spring or forging new ones. There is little to no rocket science behind them and they are amazing once set up. It's the third arm you need so bad for a lot of operations :D 

Have you figured out your choice of mounting it yet? 

I recommend taking it all apart and cleaning out the screw and box, greasing or oiling the threads (there's been whole threads discussing which is better - I used bearing grease)and reassembling it.  While apart, taking a wire wheel on an angle grinder will help clean it up, but cleaning the outside rust off is not necessary for it to function correctly.  For $80, unless the threads are stripped and terrible, you done good.  Shoot us a picture of the threads.

9 hours ago, MC Hammer said:

I recommend taking it all apart and cleaning out the screw and box, greasing or oiling the threads (there's been whole threads discussing which is better - I used bearing grease)and reassembling it.  While apart, taking a wire wheel on an angle grinder will help clean it up, but cleaning the outside rust off is not necessary for it to function correctly.  For $80, unless the threads are stripped and terrible, you done good.  Shoot us a picture of the threads.

I will... sometime this weekend.... I really appreciate all the input guys.