I Forge Iron

Newbie from Arizona

Hello!

I am Dianna from Arizona's East Valley and I am just starting out. I have not worked much with my hands in the past and have only recently become interested in learning after taking an afternoon blacksmithing class one weekend. My amazing husband has been supportive in getting me set up with a little workshop of my own and showing me how to use all the power tools safely! I have been learning a lot so far and having a blast while doing so. I'm excited to continue learning and see how far I can go!

Welcome aboard Dianna, glad to have you. Good for you! Working with your hands is a good thing and making steel do your bidding is immensely satisfying. Do you have anything in mind you'd like to make? There's really no limit though some things take special effort maybe power tools. Power tools are good things.

We LOVE pics, anything you'd show a young child. There is a huge amount of archived information, read it like it's the library it is. Skim the subjects, categories, sub categories, etc. and work your way in. Just about anything you might ask has probably been asked and answered but there's an awful lot there. When you find a subject that interests you read the subjects that strike you as pertinent.

Learning the craft jargon really helps. You'll get a handle on what's what, what some of the goofy sounding terms mean, etc. speaking the language helps ask good questions and understand the answers. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome to Glenn’s international block party. You are not the only lady smith here and don’t let the curmudgeon tag on any one put you off, tho it dose denote a grumpy old man, here it also denotes peaple who time and time again come to the aid of new smiths. Frosty, Thommas Powers, Steve Sells and Dale Russell are good guys despite their reputations. Glenn and company stand buy the rules of no cussing or fussing. 

ps I grew up in cave creek (there is a blacksmith supply co. There) and have good friends in Chandler and Glendale still. 

I'd say that one factor in the curmudgeons is that they want people to do well in smithing and if that means: learning the jargon, asking questions that are specific, trying to get people to not make assumptions that are often wrong...well we get a reputation as grumpy because we  keep pointing out such things.  We also have a LOT of information and experience we are willing to share and have a firm belief that new people don't have to make all the beginners mistakes themselves.  They can read about them and go on to make new and improved mistakes---and to share those with us here.