I Forge Iron

Are these burners running right?

Trying to find out if these burners are up to par for a propane forge build. I have acquired these burners from a friend that built the forge for me and trying to get some thoughts as if its burning well. This is my first go at blacksmithing and learning a lot but have no experience. I know these burners are using .025 mig contact tips and about 7 psi of gas to them before flame blows out. I've have yet to try them out as refractory is still coming in mail to finish the forge lining. They may be fine may not but wanted to share and get some opinions from the experts. I was concerned with the flame size compared to other burners on you tube and was wondering if they seem adequate or not. Thanks for any input.

Mike.

2018042295182542.3gp

Hh.jpg

20180510_153405.jpg

20180316_203456.jpg

Edited by SwampFox Rocketry
Notifcations to me

Welcome aboard Mike.

Oh Mr. Mike is going to have fun with this one. :lol:

Might I recommend reading Burners 101.

It covers and thoroughly discusses just about everything to do with NA burners.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/46536-burners-101/

Mr. Mike’s post entry #26 on page 6 of Burners 101 addresses the design of your burners.

Also suggest you definitely read it as well.

I like the Mikey burners (personal preference) for my application(s) due the ease of fine tuning.

It isn't too late to turn those rolls of holes into a slot at least. Rectangles with bels for and aft would be even better.

Three slots. Input Mikey burners on the web and loads of information comes up. Also, reverse your mixing tube; it's positioned backward to what you need as is.

2018042295182542 (3).3gpThanks guys yes i found the 1/2 mikeys burners and it does look like these. Ill also do my reading in burners 101 thanks IDK. And mikey and frosty. I posted a vid in the link under my question of burners in action ill try again and get a pic too. I like the idea of making the holes into 3 slots as i have 3 sets of holes drilled. The bad part is there not straight. I thought about just getting new tubes and starting from new ones would be cheap and easy fix to get a symmetrical slot section for the choke. Thanks guys.

Screenshot_20180515-052044.png

Mikey for this part of ur comment 

Also, reverse your mixing tube; it's positioned backward to what you need as is

Do you mean I should have choke near the flame side with the slots for air? I'm a bit lost on this suggestion.

Ill get more pics not at the house now looks good idk. 

I think Mike means reverse your choke  tube.  reversing the mixing tub doesn't make any sense, I think it's just a typo.

Having the set screw where it is severely limits the travel of the choke, it can't lock the tube if it's over an air inlet.

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, SwampFox Rocketry said:

Also, reverse your mixing tube; it's positioned backward to what you need as is

Do you mean I should have choke near the flame side with the slots for air? I'm a bit lost on this suggestion.

Ill get more pics not at the house now looks good idk. 

Actually, I was wrong with that comment; don't bother with it.

2 hours ago, Idk said:

With all due respect for Mr. Mike a picture is worth a thousand words.

Here’s how I build my Mikey burners.

Nice photo; it isn't a one to one design, but it looks interesting. A flame photo would tell more.

Guess I should explain the “Why’s” of the construction behind the burner.

First off it’s a 1” id burner.

Secondly, the flare nozzle flame side is 1-1/2” where as for optimal performance and from what I’ve gathered from Burners 101 should be 1-1/4” id flame side.

It was originally built for my furnace so the nozzle wasn’t in the picture until recently and that’s the only concentrical reducer I had on hand.

Overall length is 12”.

There’s 5 air intake ports which are 1/2” x 3” for a total of 7-1/2 square inches of intake.

The mixing tube is on the short side of 7-1/8” excluding the nozzle but it works.

As Mikey suggests I’m Burners101 the mixing tube side should be around 8”-9”.

For clarification, this would be the part of the mixing tube beyond the intake ports.

Originally it had a .045 mig tip for the jet but that was too rich. For some reason I’m thinking the id of a .045 tip is .0625.

Just tried pulling it up in the net but can’t verify that number.

It was replaced with a .035 which I drilled out with a #55 (.0520).

That seems to be the sweet spot for it as I no long smell any carbon monoxide.

I did go out to the shop this morning and pertain to beveling the intake ports as recommended for a smoother flow and alleviate turbulence.

Mike, zoom in on the attached photos to see what I’m referring to about the be beveling.

The ribs between the individuals intake ports are beveled/tapered as well.

To the end cap & coupler fitting with the set screws.

Coupler, holes were drilled and nuts were welded in place. This was the easiest route as SS isn’t the funniest stuff to fabricated compared to mild steel.

The end cap plug is a standard steel plumbing fitting. Holes drilled, tapped and set screws installed.

By fabricating it in this fashion allows me to connect a piece of hose and a spigot fitting to the water hose and the fuel rail/pipe nipple which connects to the mig tip/jet setup.

Secure the burner in a vise, turn water on and adjust the jet stream via the set screws until dead center. Methodically and gently tighten the set screws not to disturb the alignment and your good to go.

As mentioned in Burners 101 this aspect is critical in the proper function of any NA burner.

Improper jet alignment is a bad thing.

This post is not intended to highjack Mike’s thread but to answer Mikey and try to help Mike understand the aspects of building a proficient Mickey burner.

I’ll snap a shot of the burner in action tonight once it gets dark.

1AA3E0E0-96AE-456F-87D4-E5169A2E5674.jpeg

7B5FC7AD-45AC-46D1-BF0F-356512DD1267.jpeg

48 minutes ago, Idk said:

That seems to be the sweet spot for it as I no long smell any carbon monoxide.

Both carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide are colorless, odorless, and tasteless gases.  That's what makes them so potentially dangerous.  Without a detector you can't assess your exposure until it's extreme.  If you were smelling something before it was not one of those two things.

Thanks for the burner breakdown just got back from lowes with some .035 hobart mig tips and some cutting disk as to cut out my intake slots. I will bevel them and get them smooth. I did some measuring to clear some things up of what i got to work with 

Mixing tube is 10 inches 3 of that being holes already drilled in so slots will be 3 inches to start with. Its 3/4 inch ID.

The flare is 1/4 thick x 4 inch long and  inside diamater of flare portions goes to 1.1/4 inch.

The accelerated nozzle is just over 5 inches but have a set screw to adjust depth in burner tube

20180515_154523.jpg

20180515_154459.jpg

20180515_154648.jpg

20180515_154218.jpg

20180515_154117.jpg

20180422_170048.jpg

20180422_170056.jpg

While burners act differently depending on geographical location due to atmospheric pressure, a .035 tip is going to run rich for a 3/4” burner.

Forge design along with it’s chamber pressures will also affect the burners function as well.

I’m located in Florida and only run a .025 in my 3/4” burner but that’s in a furnace.

I tried it in the forge the other evening and had to really crank it up to keep a flame going.

Once I closed the forge door it stayed lit.

Me also thinks that flare nozzle is on the long side also.

I know the ones sold on line are only 3”OAL, subtract 1/2” for attachment and you end up with a 2-1/2” working chamber within the nozzle.

But like I said, you’ll just have to play with it and modify accordingly.

Food for thought.

So many little factors.

It’s a quick easy change out so have fun playing with it.

I’d run down to Harbor Freight and pick up one of their multi tip packs so you have a variety on hand.

Keep us posted and don’t forget pics. :)

Ok sounds good IDK,  yes i have .025 as well wanted to try each out i think just getting the slots will increase my flame and will be a good start. Ill get them cut tomorrow and keep u guys updated.  So my flares completely adjustable with 3 tension screws it is 4 inches total but have it only inch over to start. It also fits snug into burner holes on the forge. 

Thanks Again everyone!

The bevel you ground on the bottom (towards the flame) end of the slots needs to be on the INSIDE of the slot. The idea is to give the intake air a smooth transition into the tube. Picture in your mind the flow of air, think of it like water and water skis. The air is entering the slots and being drawn towards the outlet end. This is EXACTLY like water flowing under a water ski. With me so far?  The bevels need to make it easy for the flow. As ground the bottom bevel is just like wearing a water ski upside down.

Fortunately the results won't be as dramatic or (unfortunately :() entertaining it just reduces efficiency significantly.

The bottom bevel needs to be inside the tube. Yes?

Frosty The Lucky.