I Forge Iron

Upcoming demonstration

I'm going to do a blacksmithing demonstration for some high school students fairly soon, and I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions or ideas as to what all I should show to them. Since I'll be dealing with teenagers, I'll have to keep it fairly interesting to overcome their short attention spans.

So far, I've decided to first show them basic techniques, like drawing, upsetting, twisting, and punching, then showing them how the elements are combined in things like j-hooks and trammel hooks, then show them slightly more advanced things like forge brazing and tempering. I've decided against forge welding because a) I don't have enough safety glasses for everyone and B) I'm not the greatest at it.

I'd appreciate any input.

If the students will be getting their hands in (as opposed to just watching) I'm sure that safety glasses for all are a very good idea, firewelding or no.

Make firesteels perhaps? Lots of possible designs so you can use different skills, and there is heat treatment involved.

Depending how ambitious you want to be, how about making a flint or cap lock? There's a guide near the end of Bealer :D

ide keep it simple .... Ive done a few of these type demos and they have a short attention span ..ide stick with forgeing and leave off the brazeing might start wit a real simple project like nails then make a rams head to wow um also bring some pre made stuff to show .. have fun!

How long of a time frame do you have them for? Depending on the project, just the basic's you've mentioned so far could take up a good chunk of time. At least it would for me!
p.s. where are you located? If you click on the user CP at the top of the page you can add your location so they show in your posts.

When you demo the heat treating/ tempering. Take along a piece of 5160. Take it to full hardness and then shatter it on the anvil. This usually gets a few oohs and aahs and also drives home the importance of tempering.

In my neck of the woods, keeping teenagers interested is quite difficult (unless you can forge some bar stock into an iPod :) ). The good thing is that there is always one or two kids in the groups that are very interested and you will spark an interest that can last a lifetime. That was what happened to me.

First, I should state that these teenagers are my classmates from school, so I know them fairly well. I'm probably going to be working with them for about two hours, but there's going to be a fair number of them, so I might try to have them broken up into smaller groups.

I am going to let a few of the guys work with the iron, but only when the workpiece is long enough to handle safely without tongs and the guy is one I know has sense. I don't want to risk something flying out of the tongs at high speed (which has happened to me before).

I think this is my list for the demonstration:
1) basic techniques
2) basic items from those techniques (j-hooks and trammel hooks)
3) let a few of them try their hand at forging
4) make and heat treat a RR spike knife
5) make something ornamental, like a rose or a musical cleft bell

I've been thinking about showing them some basic metal casting, but I'll probably have to ditch the idea due to all of the safety considerations.

I'd like to show them some repousse work as well, but I'm not sure what to make.

simmonds

there is always one or two kids in the groups that are very interested and you will spark an interest that can last a lifetime. That was what happened to me.
this is how i got started

i may recomend that you not let thewm use your good hammers or anvil because its likely to take a lot of abuse get a RR anvil or a hf ASO this will be cheaper in the long run

I have done a couple demos here and there, so here is my bit. Let a couple guys forge a bit, but make sure they have long sleeve shirts on and the safety glasses. Take some round stock and heat it up. Stick it through the prichet (sp?) hole, flourish your right hand, and say, "impress the ladys," while you take your small finger and bend it all the way down. My key to success with school kids is humour. Keep 'em laughing. It works every time. I think shattering some carbon steel would be great too. Burn some steel, they will love it. Better yet, get a kid and set him in a chair. Then heat up some steel real hot. Blind fold the guy and take a piece of ICE COLD steel and lay it on his arm.:D Make sure it is the toughest guy in the class! Also when I have demos, I rope off an area around the forge so I don't have to worry about scale hitting some girl,s leg. (That will keep 'em from wearing those short shorts:D) That's all folks.

The Kidsmith,
Dave Custer
"It's not the fact that you're dead that counts but only how did you die"

Hi, if you are only going to be demoing for a couple of hours with beginers then the time will fly,

If you don't want to use tongs try demoing something like a meat fork or steak turner, you can work each end seperate, and then if you want you can put a twist in for a handle

good luck with the demo and enjoy it