I Forge Iron

Cinco de Mayo GREETINGS!

SLAG

Had to google it. Never heard of the fifth of may before. There you are, learn a new thing everyday. :)

Cinco de Mayo is an annual celebration held on May 5. The date is observed to commemorate the Mexican Army's difficult victory over the French Empire at the Battle of Puebla, on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza. 

Uh. . . No calendars in Australia Marc? :o  Just rattling our cage a little Mate, nobody can keep up with holidays around the world.

Seeing as we have members in more than 150 countries around the world It might be cool to have a thread to mention the date and occasion so we can all help celebrate or memorialize the day.

What you guys think? 

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Frosty The Lucky.

Nee ... no mention of any overseas festivities from Mexico or any other country ... 

however if google is to be trusted, the 5th of May is the day of the Cryptographer in Russia ... the Day of struggle for the person with disability (international) ... and also in Russia the day of the diver ... :P

I wonder what the 5th of may is in China? 

As I work in Mexico I have to say that Cinco de Mayo is not much celebrated there; it's more a US celebration used as a way to push beer sales.  Now what we had the Factory shut down for was May Day known as labour day all over the world EXCEPT the US.

When I worked on the ALMA project for the National Radio Astronomy Observatory at the Socorro NM site we had a couple from Germany relocate there as the European Southern Observatory was a partner in the project.  They claimed Negra Modelo was the only drinkable beer easily found locally.

Now Yesterday was a big day for folks of a certain geekiness and age "May the 4th be with you!"