I Forge Iron

What size/shape?

Daniel M

What shape and size should I make this firepot? I am going to make a clay sand mixture I've used with some success to make the size and shape fire pot I want. The shell is the top of a old air compressor it is pretty thick steel. It measures about 5"deep and 16"across. 

IMG_0980.JPG

Add coal, add fire, and let the fun begin. The original 55 Forge was from a 55 gallon drum head, which is thin material. The build up of ash to the top of the air pipe will insulate the forge.

Please post side view photos when you get a chance.

At a demo the 55 forge was placed on 2 stacks of 2 plastic pickle buckets of coal (the only thing handy at the time.).  After the demo which was 30 minutes of a fire at near welding heat, A fellow ask to see the top of the plastic buckets to see if there was any damage from the heat. I was able to pick up the same forge by the outside edges while the fellow inspected the buckets, no damage at all. I told him, if he was finished, I needed to put the forge down. He ask if the forge was hot as it still had the coal fire going. I said no, it is heavy.  YMMV and always test for the heat level of the metal before you pick it up.

We already know your idea of hot and your missis idea of hot are two different things, Glenn.

seriusly 2” of ash insulates better than 2” of dirt. 2” of dirt keep the wooden bottom of a JABOD forge from burning. 

Daniel, a bowl 6-8” across and 3-4” deep is generaly enough. You pile 3-4” of fuel over that with the stock in the middle of the pile. Each forge has its own particulars But generaly you will be in that range for heating up to 1” square stock

As fire spread isn’t a big issue, if you have enough coal and a sprinkler can you can just fill her up, but it’s easer to pack good ol bank clay into the pan, forming a bowl and laying the hearth about an inch lower than the rim, this alowes you to keep extra fuel on the hearth. 

When she ask me to turn the corn bread out of a cast iron skillet, I did.  Then realized that the skillet handle it was HOT.  I put it down quickly and the hand went under water. She said that the skillet just came out of a 400 *F oven. I ask if that would not have been good information to have BEFORE I picked it up? She now provides warnings as to it may be hot.

When at the forge, everything is put on a HOT table. It then goes into the slack tub, and into a bare hand, to be placed on the work table behind me. If the steam is sizzling on the metal, it goes for a second dip. This way no one gets access to any HOT metal. It may still be warm, but it is not HOT. Ok, warm enough to create a surprise to a non-blacksmith, but not hot.

Looks like it might be a tad deep, I’d it is use a biker grate (big pipe cap with a single 3/4” hole drilled in the center. It will bring the fire up and the clinker will form a ring around it and stay out of the air. 

To alow us to pass long stock threw the hottest part of the fire (and to help us consistently hit the same spot) it’s best if the center of the fire is level with the hearth (rim)