I Forge Iron

Devil Forge

Dillion Brian Grant

I've not used their forges, but I bought one of their burners out of curiosity and found it to be remarkably good. I was not impressed by the need to push the hose over a plain tube. With O-clips it works well enough, but is somewhat inelegant. That was my only gripe.

The DF... series burners have a threaded choke adjustment which makes mixture/temperature control a breeze. It's fine enough to hold accurate Heat-Treat temperatures for steels that need a soak when used in a reasonably well-designed HT forge.

Their DFProf... series burners seem to have a sliding choke. I have not used one but I'd expect it to be anywhere near as controllable as the DF...

With the likes of Wayne Coe able to supply realistic quantities of the better forge building materials in the US, I'd definitely recommend building the forge yourself.

If you would rather buy a burner than make one, you could do a lot worse than the DF.

Dillon, the fiber cloth in those photos is not "sealed". If the advertiser is claiming it is sealed and safe to use as is well...... those photos show un coated fiber cloth. You could make either of those set ups work but you will still have to purchase rigidizer and a reflective coating. If you haven't already you should do a LOT of reading on the building a gas forge section here on IFI. Also check out Wayne Coe Artist Blacksmith website. Wayne is a member here and sells all the coatings you will need to safely run one of those forges. There are a few manufacturers who sell coated, ready to go right out of the box forges and none of them are near the prices of the models you posted. $600.00 to $1000.00 USD will get you a good, efficient and safe forge without you having to do anything except turn it on. You can get the same performance for about half the money by reading, ordering the appropriate materials and doing a little of the additional work those less expensive forges will require. I bought a Whisper Mamma two burner for $500.00 delivered and I still had to rigidize and coat the lining to ensure I wouldn't be breathing the evil little no see um floaties that will go airborne when that cloth heats up. You don't want that stuff in your lungs!

Dillon, check out the Build a Gas Forge attachment on the Forge Supplies page of my web-site.  You can get my url and other contact info on my Profile.

I think that we here at IFI have previously discussed these forges.  The fire brick is a heat sink, even if the blanket is coated (which it does not appear to be) you will be constantly be repairing the interior.  Without a cast interior you will poke holes in the sides almost every time you put metal in or out of the forge.  The hose does not appear to be acceptable for Propane.

If your dad would like to talk to me regarding building a forge ask him to call me.

Let me know if I can help you.

Wayne

2 hours ago, Mikey98118 said:

Two years back I gave hesitant approval of their cheapest forge--for the cost; since then, they have been doing everything possible to raise their prices. They have reached the point where none if their products are worth the money.

Wow, I hadn't looked since then. They were marginally worth it if you didn't mind finishing them properly. Rigidize and hard flame face. Now? Holy Moly popularity seems to have driven them completely beyond reason.

Want to bet Forged in Fire has something to do with entry level forges?

We'll be more than happy to help you put one together. The reg and hose being the most expensive part. Wayne has the fiddly bits.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 4/22/2018 at 8:14 PM, WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith said:

Dillon, check out the Build a Gas Forge attachment on the Forge Supplies page of my web-site.  You can get my url and other contact info on my Profile.

I think that we here at IFI have previously discussed these forges.  The fire brick is a heat sink, even if the blanket is coated (which it does not appear to be) you will be constantly be repairing the interior.  Without a cast interior you will poke holes in the sides almost every time you put metal in or out of the forge.  The hose does not appear to be acceptable for Propane.

If your dad would like to talk to me regarding building a forge ask him to call me.

Let me know if I can help you.

Wayne

believe me I want to build,my own the issue is my dad doesn't believe that those forges aren't coated already he thinks they are 

OK so I spent close to an hour talking,to wayne, btw thanks alot for the advice, anywyas I decided that I'm going to build my own propane forge from an old 20# propane tank, and I'm gonna use frostys t burner design so it is gonna be slow but ill post pics throughout the process thanks for all the help and support everybody

So I was wondering, seeing how like i said thanks to the help,from wayne the other day I'm going to be making a propane forge using an empty propane tank I was wondering, since I'm intending to post pics of my bottles journey from bottle to forge should I just post them,on here or would it be best for me,to post them in a new topic all together