I Forge Iron

soderfors anvil

Once your rebound gets above 95% it's really hard to eyeball. I made a jig to hold a ruler and a strong magnet to hold the bearing ball so I could stand back a little ways with the light coming from an oblique angle to make a sharp shadow on the ruler. I figure I was seeing in the 97%+ range but it's still an eyeball estimate so I say it's 95%+ as a conservative number.

Those are just numbers though, it's working on one that the magic. Even though I can bounce mine with a heavy blow and a 4 lb. hammer it still moves steel like putty. One of these days I'll get a shot at trying a heavier one. Can't be worse, I'm not looking for a REALLY HEAVY portable after all.

Frosty The Lucky. 

2 hours ago, mike k said:

I will have to do the test again. The results I'm getting are defying the laws of physics, hence  the screen shots, 95%+/- is the figure everybody quoting so assume this anvil is the same. But at the end of the day it's irrelevant all you have to do is work on it and you can feel the difference. At the moment I haven't got my shop set up, I just put the anvil, vice and stump in and sat my old gas fire on top of the coal forge. I need to make a flue for the coal  fire, it's good enough for now to work machine made shoes and shoe a few horses that I have come to me. I hope to have it all finished by the end of the year as next year I plan to work mainly from home shoeing and up skill in general blacksmithing . I have picked up a 9 ton screw fly press which I have been fixing up. I have no experience with using one, I'm  looking foreword to playing with it.

IMG_1855.thumb.jpg.181fd6621df2d8b35f7b7dc2bdec7380.jpg