I Forge Iron

Wolf jaw bolt tong hybrid

Jay.bro

So I have been reading through a ton of tong threads and I have my material picked out and I have came across several discussions that refer to bolt and wolf jaw tongs as the 2 most universal tongs I have been wondering if anyone has tried to make a hybrid tong between the 2 and if so we're they a success or were there detriments to using them? I've attached a rough sketch of my idea if you guys wanna critique it and let me know what you think.

1521735339248604165876.jpg

Well this was just a idea I had seeing as how I see tons of threads on here about people wanting to know what the best set of tongs to make for versatility and I continuously read reply saying bolt tongs and the other half I read generally say wolf jaw so in my mind if the 2 designs could fuse then it would be a very good tool for people to start out with if someone sells them already I was more throwing my quick sketch out there as a reference for what I was talking about and some ideas I'd had for people to give feedback on for example the teeth on the bottom bit may be counterproductive and someone has tried it before and may save me an hour or so of filing those in or someone may say they never tried it and it inspires someone to make a similar version of their own. I was thinking more general use tongs though.

Here’s where I ended up when I posed myself the same question.

I am no blacksmith, and have never purchased tongs, or used commercial tongs, so have nothing to compare them to. 

I find that this  pair can hold to 3/16 to 1/2 inch stock without having to stretch my grip

I don't believe the serrations do anything, though the in line groove on the small jaw helps stabilize smaller stock when held straight out the jaws.

I find these tongs agreeable for making hooks and other small items that the stock changes in dimension and shape , good grip without having to switch tongs , and plenty of room for things to hang out the side.

I had posted my first pair of these and was advised to put the cross slot on the larger jaw. Advice taken and utilized, with good results.

2E0B5E53-F7A0-49A4-97B3-1FD1F599ECC8.jpeg

A9BD9408-B8A7-4C7E-812F-06547EEB19E1.jpeg

29FC35AE-0F89-404C-A615-470331BCC6C7.jpeg

I like those I was actually thinking the cross slot on top and bottom though and make them different sizes on front and back so it can accept at least 3 sizes of stock. I was actually thinking that the grooves would assist with the heat loss into the tongs by creating spots where it doesn't touch the steel so less heat transference into the tongs from the work piece. Does the cross slot help with holding stock for scrolling?

2 hours ago, Plugging at it said:

I don't believe the serrations do anything, though the in line groove on the small jaw helps stabilize smaller stock when held straight out the jaws.

I find these tongs agreeable for making hooks and other small items that the stock changes in dimension and shape , good grip without having to switch tongs , and plenty of room for things to hang out the side.

23 hours ago, Judson Yaggy said:

I like smooth jawed tongs and go so far as to ease the corners and edges of my bits with a file to a little radius so the tongs don't mar the work.  Surface finish is improtant to me.  YMMV

That is a good point I'm just starting out so I'm more worried about technique at this point more than finish, the way I understand it the finish will come as I become more skilled.

• 1 month later...

Looks like it has been a month since this has seen any action. A couple thoughts. The farther the grip is from the rivet the more universal the tong can be, also the less powerful the grip. Since it appears you may be new at making tongs I would think you might be better off copying simple tongs to build your skills then going into making a new design.