I Forge Iron

Fisher 192 anvil

Hi I was buying a metal band saw and they had this nice fisher anvil there. I ended up buying both. The wife is being very understanding .  I'm guessing it's built after 1896 from what I've read. Do you think I should dress the edges more I think I should. It would hopefully take out some of the chips and stop future ones hopefully. Any thoughts. I live in Maryland. Thanks Chris

IMG_1058.JPG

IMG_1059.JPG

IMG_1061.JPG

IMG_1063.JPG

IMG_1064.JPG

IMG_1065.JPG

That one's in beautiful shape. The worst chip isn't so bad it NEEDS work, just don't smack it hard there with a heavy hammer and she'll be fine. However the edges are crisp 90s and probably should be radiused for practical reasons. I just wouldn't try making the worst chip go away, smooth it up a bit and it'll be fine. 

Great score by the way.

Frosty The Lucky.

Gorgeous anvil!  Fisher's are the best out there, bar none.  

I wouldn't do anything to it.  The face is excellent, and those few chips won't get in your way.  Use it for a few years.  Enjoy it.  Love it.  That's all she needs!

Hi Frosty,VaughnT and Njanvilman 

Thank you for the advice it will be followed. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. We started discussing it and I'm telling him how much it's worth and how the anvil market has gone crazy. Then he says I don't want that much for it and sold it to me for a great price. Their are nice people in the world. It was his wife's fathers anvil and she remembered playing around it when she was a child. They where probably in there 80's. I told them I would try find the date of when it was manufactured.

Njanvilman that would be great if you could find the date it was manufactured. I flipped it over today but I couldn't find any numbers. Are they super small? I hand wire brushed it. 

I have talked to you before about coming to your museum but just haven't made it. I met you down in Maryland at Bill Kichners (sp) hammer in. Thanks for everything Chris

The date is under the heel. It looks like it was actually made in 192? from what i can see zooming in just can’t read the last number. 

It doesn’t look like it has the casting numbers to indicate the weight. If you dont want to take it off the stump to weight it just measure the width and length of the face and the total length including the horn. I’m sure Njanvilman will be able to give you the weight or we can look in AIA and get an approximate weight.

13 hours ago, Sprig1 said:

Hi Frosty,VaughnT and Njanvilman 

Thank you for the advice it will be followed. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. We started discussing it and I'm telling him how much it's worth and how the anvil market has gone crazy. Then he says I don't want that much for it and sold it to me for a great price. Their are nice people in the world. It was his wife's fathers anvil and she remembered playing around it when she was a child. They where probably in there 80's. I told them I would try find the date of when it was manufactured.

Njanvilman that would be great if you could find the date it was manufactured. I flipped it over today but I couldn't find any numbers. Are they super small? I hand wire brushed it. 

I have talked to you before about coming to your museum but just haven't made it. I met you down in Maryland at Bill Kichners (sp) hammer in. Thanks for everything Chris

The date missing the last digit 192_ means that is was cast in a different year than it sold.  They would have ground off the cast in digit, and replaced it with a stamped number.  This was for their one year warranty on their anvils.   Look for a stamped number about 1/2" tall, with serifs on the numbers.

Contact me for a visit to the museum.  It will be better in the warmer weather.  It is kind of miserable here now with the snow and cold and mud.

Thanks Njanvilman and Frozenforge

I just went out to the shop and checked it looks like a zero. Thanks for all the help. I'll stop bothering you now. Now I just have get out and use it. I took it off the stump and mounted it on my anvil stand. I hope to get up to the museum this summer. Or I might see you at the abana conference this summer. Thanks again Chris