I Forge Iron

Show me your storage ideas

This storage solution for vertical stock was in a hardware store.  He made a frame to fit aluminum downspouts for the house, and cut to length. Warning: sharp edges will cut you if you are not extremely careful.

You can improve on his design by using the square plastic downspouts for the house. There will be little wasted space. Round plastic pipe comes in many different sizes, and both thin wall and heavy walls.

storage.jpg

There are many other storage solution ideas on the site and this may be moved to join them if we get the time to search them out. It would be appreciated if someone would take on that research project so we can assemble time together. Contact me PM.

It would be a pain to retrieve short pieces from a long storage compartment. Solution is to make the compartments in various lengths so the stock always sticks up above the top edge. That also is a ruler as to the length of the stock, being over 4 feet, over 3 feet, over 2 feet, etc.

I took 3/4" black iron pipe and cut it into 8" lengths, then welded them to 1/8" X 2" wide flat stock, Drilled the flat stock and screwed them to the wall, 1 high and 1 low. I welded a chain to one end of each with an open loop on the opposite ends. So I have "compartments" about a foot wide each with chains to keep the stock from falling out, (think of the conduit racks or wood trim racks they have at the big box stores). This is where I keep all my long stock 12 feet and less (I have a 12 foot ceiling).

For stock up to 24 feet I took angle iron and made 4' lengths suspended by 1' lengths all the way down the underside of a 30 foot long side porch I built onto the side of the house. The ledger is securely bolted into the house and the porch is post and beam

For lumber I made a rack 8.5' X 8' and bolted it to the ceiling above where the garage door opens. It is only 7" deep but holds sheets on one side and dimensional lumber on the other.