I Forge Iron

another tool from cave man forge

MotoMike

Mike, my friend always says I do stuff " cave man". I take it as a badge of honor. Really he means I do stuff the hard way. It's the best I can do and it's hard but I get it done. So in my mind doing it "Caveman" is a compliment. Functional is everything. 

Awesome work. I need to try making some tongs. I am using a long set of vice clamps for now. I need to pick up some rebar and make a set. Mine will be caveman inspired too! I will probably use these images as a design template. Looks perfect for the stock I need to hold

Thanks Everyone.  @DavidF check out the articles here.  the EZ tong write up is what I used for my first set.  basically flat tongs.  I made mine to hold 1/4 round stock too.  the plans call for 1/4 x3/4.  I used 5/16 x 3/4 and they are robust.  I still use them when I need flat tongs even though I've a few sets of store bought around.  

Thanks @MotoMike! Looking now. I may need to wait for a thaw. We had our first real snowfall this past weekend. We have had an unusually warm winter and I think I was getting used to it! If you are in the Illinois area, I don’t expect any sympathy. My last company was HQd in Chicago and the cold in that area feels about 10 degrees colder. I was there about three years back and it was single digits. I walked across the street from the hotel for dinner and actually called a taxi to go back. The only colder cities I have been to are Toronto, Boston, and Albany, NY. I don’t know if I would survive a full winter back east in the States