I Forge Iron

Gas Forge Confusion

Jacob Palmer

I am looking to upgrade from my coke forge to a gas forge, and I don't quite know what to do. I can buy one of those fancy centaur forge ones for half a grand, buy one of those ebay ones for 150$, or make my own. It would be hard to get enough money to afford the 500$ ones, and I don't have access to a welding machine currently. What do I do?  

Thanks,

Jacob

I built my first two gas forges at gas forge building workshops put on by an ABANA affiliate.  Each one was one Saturday and I got a known good plan and all the parts were supplied.  I even got the welding done by a pro as we built them assembly line style and then at the end drew for who got which one---keeps everybody honest as you don't know which one would be yours and so couldn't risk slacking off or doing extra work.

Who knows the local group may put on such a workshop or have a local forge builder in it. Have you checked with them yet?

They're not hard to build. Old propane tanks without the overfill safety float can often be found for free. There are a lot of examples right here on IFI showing people building their first forge. And as Wayne said, he has plans and materials available on his site. I think it's the best way to go. Cheaper than buying one and you know what you've got when it's all said and done.

Reading the Forges 101 thread will clue you in on the whys and hows of forge design so that you have a clue what you are looking at; including whether its price tag represents real value or you are being suckered BIG TIME. And if you don't think most commercial forges are sucker deals...well, that just proves you haven't read the thread, doesn't it?

43 minutes ago, Mikey98118 said:

Reading the Forges 101 thread will clue you in on the whys and hows of forge design so that you have a clue what you are looking at; including whether its price tag represents real value or you are being suckered BIG TIME. And if you don't think most commercial forges are sucker deals...well, that just proves you haven't read the thread, doesn't it?

Ya got me, I can't read or write. Silly me!