I Forge Iron

Air powered drop hammers cheap?

Hey guys... I am not sure if this is a Gem or not. My local used machinery sale place has 3 of these air powered drop hammers for sale.

I've been watching them for a while and the longer they sit there, the lower the price goes. I've been kicking around the idea of buying one and converting it for shop use as a project.

I would offer $900 for one probably.  Seems like they would work as a nice small air hammer with some modifications and the addition of a lift/pressure cylinder and some tooling. 

Good idea or not? Whatcha' think??

Stitch'

20171129140622255_L.jpg

20171129140622511_L.jpg

Edited by Mod34
Commercial link removed per TOS

Greetings Stich,

Looks to me like a very limited use hammer for your shop. Look up the KA-75 hammer sold by Old World Anvils .. The working height of the one pictured is very low and would be a killer in your back. I have a KA and love it .

Forge on and make beautiful things    

Jim

If it's a drop hammer, wouldn't that mean that the force of the blow comes from the falling weight, and the air is only to lift it up to the top again?

If that's the case, I suppose that would mean that you're looking at a low rate of beats-per-minute and no variation in the force and speed of the blows.

5 hours ago, Jim Coke said:

Greetings Stich,

Looks to me like a very limited use hammer for your shop. Look up the KA-75 hammer sold by Old World Anvils .. The working height of the one pictured is very low and would be a killer in your back. I have a KA and love it .

Hey Jim, Those KA's are great. I already have a tire hammer. This is going to be a project, maybe as a give away. As an Engineer and a Machinist I really like a challenge. I've designed and built countless machine tools over the years. I would like to see what I can make this do maybe. I appreciate the input absolutely for sure! 

4 hours ago, JHCC said:

Okay, so the question is, Can Stitch turn a drop hammer into the equivalent of a KA-75?

If anyone can, It's me Lol!

No the frame is not built for "powered use"  I have seen a board drop hammer used in a smithy in Germany. It had around a 500# ram and the smith used it to start the sides of making a hoe from 2" sq stock, then he drew them out with a Lufthammer leaving a raised spine in the middle for strength.

If you did a lot of coining or wanted to impress patterns in pattern welded billets I can see a use for it; but it would get rare use in my smithy.

I should have explained what I was planning better. The air hammer will look nothing like the picture when it's finished.

I know that in it's current configuration it's not suitable. But, after I tear it down, and take the parts I need from it I will build

an awesome Frankenairhammer! 

20 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

If you did a lot of coining or wanted to impress patterns in pattern welded billets

And we all know how hard it is to impress patterns in pattern welded billets.  A more jaded "been there, done that, seen it all, got the T-shirt" crowd you will never find.

Correct use of terminology: "make a mark or design on (an object) using a stamp or seal; imprint."       

I've been trying to find a matching set of bush hammer ends to make a patterning swage to use with my screw press. I got to see the ones (I believe they were the ones mentioned by Manfred Sachse) at the Deutches Klingen Museum in Solingen.

8 hours ago, welder_jim said:

I looked at those too. They are missing the air cylinders on top to raise the rams and I believe the controls to make them work.

Good eye Jim! I saw it right off. All three they are selling didn't have the lift cylinders. Probably were shot.