I Forge Iron

Fifth knife

sfeile

Finally got my daughters Christmas present done..... This is the 5th knife I have ever made and 6th blade. (The odd one was a straight razor.)

Leaf spring steel, oil quenched and 2 cycles of tempering. White oak handle scales and sitting on top of her new cutting board I made for her also of white oak. (She really likes white oak.)

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic, I'll try to get better ones before I send it.

DSC_0561-2.thumb.jpg.6d964044743e19682d2106aec697a65d.jpg

3 hours ago, Steve Sells said:

Its always interesting to see what a blacksmith can to with a Fifth

That was a crafty one, Steve!:lol:

The knife is in deed well done...for my feeling the blade might be a little bit too wide and the edge still too thick for comfortable multi purpose use, but I like the plain appearance of the knife....definitely good job!

A few photos that are a little better.

_MG_0049.thumb.jpg.99c5ce781aff7845a27ebe0c71a941db.jpg_MG_0052.thumb.jpg.302ab516a603ba5d42f33b45945c5128.jpg_MG_0050.thumb.jpg.42ede6336416e8836728e43bc7f9ad18.jpg_MG_0048.thumb.jpg.9a6c639458ee3f0b542649c466b7a31a.jpg

9 hours ago, Joël Mercier said:

From what I can see, it's seems well finished! Congrats!

Thanks! It's still got a few scratches in it, but I'm learning more with each one.

7 hours ago, Steve Sells said:

Its always interesting to see what a blacksmith can to with a Fifth

I wouldn't even know what to do with a fifth..... :unsure:

6 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Looks like a nice kitchen chopper. 

Thanks! That's what I was shooting for. Something similar to my Wusthof chefs knife, but smaller.

3 hours ago, templehound said:

That was a crafty one, Steve!:lol:

The knife is in deed well done...for my feeling the blade might be a little bit too wide and the edge still too thick for comfortable multi purpose use, but I like the plain appearance of the knife....definitely good job!

Thanks! I tested it on some onions and it slices well. It's no sushi knife for sure, but it seems to do ok for general purpose. I based it off a template I saw and tried to forge it as close to that as I could get it. Then ground it close to what my 8 inch chefs knife is for thickness.

I'm learning more as I go, so any input is definitely welcome.

2 hours ago, sfeile said:

Then ground it close to what my 8 inch chefs knife is for thickness.

Commercial knives make up for their low quality steels and HT with thicker edges to add toughness. You can grind a good quality hand made carbon steel chef's knife primary bevel to almost zero at the edge. With that in mind, your next chef's knife will surpass your commercial knives in cutting power :lol:. Isn't that great

16 hours ago, Joël Mercier said:

Commercial knives make up for their low quality steels and HT with thicker edges to add toughness. You can grind a good quality hand made carbon steel chef's knife primary bevel to almost zero at the edge. With that in mind, your next chef's knife will surpass your commercial knives in cutting power :lol:. Isn't that great

Very good point. I've got another roughed out, so I will definitely keep that in mind when grinding.