I Forge Iron

5160 staining

MilwaukeeJon

Made a kitchen knife from 5160 and it seems very prone to staining. For example, if you slice an orange a dark stain shows up on the blade and almost looks as if there is very minor pitting. Any suggestions? I know that these can be cleaned and the blade oiled but is 5160 known for this problem? 

Pretty much any non-stainless steel will have this problem. If you want a knife to remain forever pristine, clean it and put it in a case. If you're going to use it, though, embrace the natural patination!

(Just remember to clean and oil religiously after every use, especially when cutting acidic foods like your orange.)

Just went and looked at a Kabar butcher knife my Mother gave me---it was her 2nd anniversary present from back when they were poor and she didn't have a good knife for the kitchen.  Well that was about 61 years ago and it has a tight adherent patina.  No letting it soak in the sink, no putting it in the Dishwasher!  Wash, dry and a quick wipe down with a food grade vegetable oil.  I expect I'll be passing it on to a grandkid of my own some day...(It's sitting in the drawer with the other old plain carbon steel knives that I acquire whenever I can find them at a good price---sometimes needing rehandling; but that's not an issue!)

To some extent, the patina helps slow down rusting.  It also tells the story f the knife.  When I give a kitchen knife to someone I tell them that it will oxidize with time, and not to fight it. The grey/black oxides are the good guys, and as long as it isn't red rust it should be a welcome addition to the knife.

Of course, I hand polished my first kitchen knife to a P2500 grit finish.  I learned not to do that after the first use.  That was a bit heartbreaking ;)