I Forge Iron

Slotted Monkey Tool

Redsmith

I'm planning to do some slotted mortise & tenon joinery with flat bar and thought a slotted monkey tool would be helpful in the process. Anyone have a slick idea about how to make one or where to buy them? Unfortunately I don't have access to a machine shop and haven't figured out how to make one.

For work like this, I highly recommend Mark Aspery’s third book. I believe the above picture is from that book. Gives incredible detailed instructions on building all the tools for mortise and tenon joints and how best to go about building things with them. Kind of pricey but worth every penny. 

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 3:15 PM, Redsmith said:

I'll give it a go this week and post some pics of my success...or...;) Thanks Jasent.

So...here's my morning's work of making the slotted monkey tool. I'm pretty happy with it except i got that first swat a little off center. Everything fits nicely...now to see how it works in action! The tenon size is 1/8" x 5/8". My next one will be 1/4" x 3/4" but I want to start out with a piece of 1 1/4" sq stock to have more shoulder left on the tool; all I have laying around now is the 1".

The other picture is my attempt at art :lol:; I wanted a project to practice my chisel cutting and this seemed like a good way to have something to show for it in the end.

Happy Hammering!

MT1.jpg

MT2.jpg

MT3.jpg

Flame Sculpture.jpg

Better picture of my "sculpture".

FS2.jpg

Greetings Redsmith,

As Frank mentioned the easy way to make the tool is to bend over a flat bar stock than weld in side pieces to match your tennon. I still have the ones that I made years ago.  Have fun...

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

2 hours ago, Jasent said:

Have you gotten a chance to test it out? 

Nope; I should've tried it out on a test piece yesterday but I got caught up in other projects. After I take the wifey to the movies today, I'll give it a go.

2 hours ago, Jim Coke said:

As Frank mentioned the easy way to make the tool is to bend over a flat bar stock than weld in side pieces to match your tennon. I still have the ones that I made years ago.  Have fun...

Thanks Jim, I'll be making the 1/4" x 3/4" this way next weekend. Running out of my vacation now and back to work tomorrow :(

TJ3.jpg.73c138b05e769e3f30b2c578d7ebe3ad.jpgTJ2.jpg.d1158265874e392dd20e69010c740b28.jpgTJ1.jpg.7f3d91d62ac66a90852230d5bf548f88.jpg

Here you go Jasent, don't be too hard on a newbie now :D. it's 1/8" joined to the punched 1/4" material. The bright spots on the shoulders is where the metal upset a little as I drove it down a tad to tighten up the joint before peening the tenon. I could've done done better with the symmetry of the peen but overall I'm pretty happy making my first slotted punch and monkey tool and the way the joint came out. The joint/fit is nice and tight.

Thanks VaughnT! Just received my copy of Mark Aspery's volume III yesterday....nothing short of amazing. I've got several blacksmithing books but none compare to the quality of this both in text and pictures. I see a lot of joinery practice in my future :D. Now I NEED the other two volumes.

MA.jpg