I Forge Iron

Casting fire brick

GarrettC90

Hello,

i wanna start by saying I’m brand new to this site so sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I’m just looking for some general information. 

I  have a propane and fire brick forge currently but a few of my bricks have cracked and crumbled. I live in SW Florida and it’s literally impossible to find fire brick. I’ve searched high and low and nothing. I’ve decided to cast my own. The best recipe I can find is consisting of Portland cement I/II, hydrated lime, crushed silica and perlite. 

Im just wondering if anyone has tried the recipe and if so any tips on it. Thank you! 

Oh no absolutely not, I apologize I worded that wrong. I just meant from researching the products and a few test runs they “seem” very durable and insulating. I’m very very new to this. I also have very limited resources in this area. The only other product I can possibly get is clay. I’m just looking for any and all helpful knowledge or recipes anyone has. 

I have searched through pottery suppliers but unfortunately the closest of anything I can find is roughly 3 hours away. I’ll just break down and order some through that site. For this I was just wanting to experiment and see how it turns out if it makes descent refractory. 

I would advise to forget that portland cement I/II, hydrated lime, crushed silica and perlite recipe.

Do a search for K26 fire brick. It comes in different sizes, I've seen it on eBay and the link Thomas gave has it.

BTW: welcome to the forum, if you will edit your profile to show your location you may be surprised how many members are near you and a lot of answers are location dependent. We will not remember you're in SW Florida after leaving this thread.

On 12/18/2017 at 2:32 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Can you explain why that is the "best" recipe?  It doesn't sound very good to me; but you must have years more experience in the field to call it best.

Please be careful with that cutting sarcasm; I'm weak and old. Making me laugh that hard very often is likely to finish up the job :D