I Forge Iron

Protecting blade's finish

lyuv

Hi all,

Just finished this knife. Made of CARBON steel (O1). Coming of the grinder, the finish was bright and nice, and I want to keep it as UNIFORM as possible.

The problem - as soon as I started using it (in the kitchen), it got stains. Seen in the picture on the bevel (and more since, all over). I guess it's some kind of oxidation.

Is there a surface treatment I can do to help prevent this? Preferably keeping the brightness. Grayish is ok. Just not bluing.

Thanks,

IMG_3150.jpg

Not sure if this helps, but you could always call it a patina and try to see it as a feature instead of a defect...  Seriously, some folks treasure the patina on their fine carbon steel kitchen knives.

If used for cutting food it will continue to develop over time and can lead to a very attractive surface treatment, IMHO.  You can even try to accelerate this patina formation using the fumes that rise up from a heated bath of white apple vinegar.

Go look at your Grandmothers old plain carbon steel kitchen knives.  That is what your knives will end up looking like if you use them in the kitchen!  If you want to avoid the patina you need to use more of a stainless steel for the blade and treat it right!  (rinse and wipe after use, no soaking, etc)

I dont mind patina. I do think it adds character. But the patinas I have seen so far are a more-or-less uniform. An evenly distributed shades. Sort of like damascus.

If you guys think these spots will develop, over time, to a more full and even coverage - I"m satisfied :)

9 hours ago, Will W. said:

The short answer? Oil. 

I like short answers :rolleyes:. But as a wise man quated: "For every problem there is an answer that is simple, elegant and wrong" ;)

Per you suggestion, I do use oil (olive oil), when the knife is stored. But in use it's no good. Either the oil is rubbed off, or the oxidants penetrate it (onion and garlic being the worst).

Anyway, a combination of: light mustard treatment, oil protection and reduced pettiness seems to be the optimum.

Thanks. Love this forum.

In general I find it's not worth the effort trying to make something act  like something it's not.  Far easier to use something the way it *wants* to be.

Unfortunately we get a regular stream of people through here asking how they can harden their 1018 knives they have just spent 20 hours forging and twice as much finishing...