I Forge Iron

Well as some of you know I got a new hammer a few weeks ago. One of deciding factors on which hammer I bought was that I had a relatively new air compressor that would run the 110 Big blu. I would have liked to had a 155 but did not want to have to upgrade compressors.
Last night I was texturing some stock and a nice blue flame shot out of the back of the motor on my compressor.Checked the start and run capacitors and they were well in spec. The windings however are well done with bits and peices flaking off I beleive the correct term is "TOAST" . By the way it has manual overloads and a manual reset that never has tripped. It came with a 1 year warranty and I've had this compressor for 18 months. It's a 5hp 2 stage IR from TSC. New motor from IR is 387.43 plus freight. Neither TSC nor IR would do anything since it was out of warranty and I didn't buy the extended warranty.
Hammer won't run without air. Went thru our supplier at work and have a direct replacement compressor duty motor coming tomorrow, they gave me a "deal" and saved me a hundred dollars. Better than full price but I still don't feel like doing a happy dance.
There went the profit from the railing job:>(
A guy can't win

John

In the movies when theres fire and smoke it's entertaining, In the shop it's usually not worth the price of admission. It just amazing I beleive tools are like boots, you have to buy good boots and take care of your feet. I buy good tools and equipment and you expect a little more than 18 months out of them. But thats how it goes sometimes.
Tomorrow will be better:)

John

Darn, I hate that for you. Hopefully this new motor will last longer than 18 months.
We had a bit of hard luck ourselves this past Tuesday...got broke into AGAIN, 3rd time. At least he is keeping us in new TVs, DVDs, VCRs, etc....Got into the shop also but he is too stupid to know what tools are worth...I can't find anything missing! A 1964 Red Face Lincoln SA200 with approx 200' of leads and a Miller TrailBlazer with same amount of leads...not taken. Go figure. But hey, I ain't complaining!! When they catch the punk we think did it he will go to the BIG HOUSE as this will be strike 3. Good luck with the new motor and let us see your railing job when complete. OK?

That's rough...you work hard, try to do your best to stay honest, get ahead, then hit a stumbling block like this. There are not a lot of people that understand exactly how bad it stinks to be in your position, but it sounds like you have done all that you can to make it work. I just bought a 7.5 HP Ingersol Rand compressor to push my 155, and now you have me sweating a bit...good luck on getting it back up and running.

Bummer John, sorry to hear about it. How long do you think before the motor's in? I wonder how much the extended warranty would have cost and what kind of turn around time the warranty repair would have been? I guess as they say, it could have been worse. Glad it wasn't!

Ingersol Rand used to make an Excellent compressor, Sorry to say I heard from a conpressor dealer that sold and serviced them (as well as a few other brands) that Ingersol Rand was running on rep for most of their stuff, and if you knew what you were buying it might be a good machine, but alot of their stuff is lower quality and higher priced than it used to be. The consumer stuff that most companies are producing is crap. I will say it again, the guy who came up with planned obsolecence should have been taken behind the building and horsewhipped, not given a promotion...

John did you up size the motor slightly from the straight 5hp? I would have considered doing that, or making sure it was aleast a Marathon, or GE if not a proper Baldor motor. I got a Quincy with a Baldor motor cause I didn't trust anything cheaper... ;-)
Good Luck to Both of you, Jose and John.

Which reminds me its time to change the oil on my Quincy;-) oil is much cheaper than metal... And you know the company is thinking about the long haul when the manual discusses maintence schedules and how often you should change the oil on the machine... check your manual

John, sorry to hear about your troubles. Nothing any of us says will make you happy, but, at least you did have a source for a new motor and you did have the profits from your railing job to use. Hang in there........

Thomas, sorry to hear about your troubles as well. No one ever said thieves were smart.

At work we just had to replace one of our air compressors, it was an IR that was at least 25 yrs old and powered our truck shop for all of those yrs, it was 15 hp 120 gal, it ran 12 hrs a day 6 days a week supplying air for 10-30 mechanics.
I gaurentee the new one will not last that long and it's bigger, but it's not an IR either but nothing is built like it used to be, even if a product or company still has top notch craftmanship the quality of materials just isn't there, all the recycled materials has brought down the quality, not in all cases but in most, everytime they recycle cars the quality of the steel drops more and more since the purity goes down.

welder19

John, sorry to hear about your bad luck with the compressor motor.

Reminds me of something I had happen recently. Last year, for my birthday, the kids got me a nice new angle grinder with one year warranty.

Being the frugal guy I am, I kept it in the box and didn't use it much, since I had a couple of old junky grinders that were still sort of working.

Well, in the past year both those old grinders finally died.
I thought, "No problem!" "I've got that new grinder that's still in the box!"
Needless to say, the new grinder didn't last long enough to wear out the second disc!
Of course it's now out of warranty.
I learned a valuable lesson. From now on, when I get a new tool....I'm gonna use it!

James Flannery

Well the new motor arrived Friday. The original emerson motor had a nema 56 frame the new marathon motor had a nema 56 frame. You guessed it nothing matched. Shaft size was diffrent, mounting holes were diffrent and the junction box was diffrent.
Checked the two reference books I have here and the marathon was a correct 56 frame. the emerson was a cross bred between a 143T and a 56. I guess they do that so you have to buy their motor. I scrounged a taper lock from another motor I had in the shop to fit the sheave and drilled and slotted the mounting plate and got it going.

Thomas
Sorry to hear about the theives, There shouldn't be such a thing as a three time loser.

Finn,
Went with a marathon compressor duty, Hope it lasts.

Jayco,
I have several items stashed back, probably ought to get them out and use them. At least that way I don't think I have a spare and need it and find out I don't.

John