I Forge Iron

Feeling a little trepidation about showing my first knife attempt (in work)

HammerMonkey

Here is the knife I am working on right now. I was not really ready to dive into making a blade yet, but something happened that compelled me to do this now, as a gift for my wife.

I forged out the shape and last night I did some of the grinding to get the shape refined. I have some micarta scales that I plan to use that I think will complement the raspy pattern that may survive the remaining grinding.

I am pretty pleased with how it is progressing, but I fear that I may not be so pleased with the feedback I am asking for... I won't learn if I don't ask, so lay it on me.

IMG_20171113_164550711.jpg

IMG_20171113_164601000.jpg

IMG_20171115_170434573.jpg

IMG_20171115_170453230.jpg

Personally, i dont care for the rasp finish. Too much opportunity for crud to get trapped in there and create rust. But thats opinion.

I like the overall shape and design. Looks very utilitarian, very practical. 

Are those your finished bevels im seeing? They look real short and broad. If theyre just secondaries then nevermind that. Plunge line is a little wobbly, but not bad.

Other than that it looks nice. Make sure to show us as you progress!

Thank you! No, the bevels are not finished... I don't know what to say about those. I forged in a bevel that starts about 1/3" from the blade edge. I was struggling with them as all I had to work on was a 4" x 48" bench sander.

I am hoping that I can do a flat grind and clean up the plunge line a bit. I just bought a 1' x 30" Harbor Freight 1/3 HP belt sander, and ordered a bunch of belts in a variety of grits, that should be arriving soon.

Good point about the opportunity for crud/rust, but I want to keep a little bit of the rasp pattern visible because it is actually the main reason I am creating this for my wife.

You see, I had this old farrier's rasp in my truck and last weekend my wife saw it and picked it up. I noticed she was crying and when I asked her what was wrong, she told me that her dad had a rasp like that and she remembered seeing him work with it as a child.

I showed her what I was making last night and she cried again, smiled and gave me a kiss. Apparently, she seems to think that I am a pretty decent husband... and a great blacksmith! lol.

I guess I should have said that this knife is not my first project. I've been working on a few other things for a while now. I was not ready to start with a knife yet as my skills are still very undeveloped. But when I saw my wife's reaction to the rasp I decided to go for it and try to finish it up before Christmas.

I have been doing some bottle openers and meat turners from R/R spikes, some tools, and I have been trying to learn to draw out and taper (and still not quite getting the hang of it yet). I also got together with 4elements and he showed me how to forge weld and I got a link to stick on my first try. That made me very happy! (Thanks again my friend!).

I only have a few pics of some of my other projects. I am happy with my progress, in some techniques, and still a bit frustrated with others...

These are some bottle poppers I've been making lately as gifts for my brother in-laws. They are very simple. I peened the topmost one like that intentionally. I was trying for a rustic look.

Poppers.jpg

15 hours ago, Shady McGrady said:

I have been doing some bottle openers and meat turners from R/R spikes, some tools, and I have been trying to learn to draw out and taper (and still not quite getting the hang of it yet).

Shouldn't that be the other way around, to learn to taper and draw out first, then move on to more complicated projects? That's what all the experienced folk here repeat to us newbs.

This thread here accumulated a lot of valuable information for beginners. Especially This post has stuck in my memory as a great training rudiment.

1 hour ago, Meadowgrove said:

Shouldn't that be the other way around, to learn to taper and draw out first, then move on to more complicated projects? That's what all the experienced folk here repeat to us newbs.

This thread here accumulated a lot of valuable information for beginners. Especially This post has stuck in my memory as a great training rudiment.

Yes, as I said, I've been working on the basics, with mixed success. That is where I started and I am continuing to practice them and I have been adding in simple projects as I progress.

But, if you read my previous posts, you will see that I did not feel like I was ready to take on a blade project yet, but I forged ahead (pun intended) in spite of this, because of limited time and the significance of the piece to the recipient.

I will continue to learn and practice the basics in measured steps. Stretching and attempting an advanced project has not been a disaster either. I have learned a lot, and I am not disgusted with the outcome, so far.

Your knife looks pretty good. It's a little rough, but I think you can fix that. Over all I'd say it's a great first knife.

Here's a question about the grooves for you more experienced people. Could you fill them with some clear resin or something to leave the design, but not have the recesses to catch debris?

Thanks Will W, Medowgrove & genesaika for the feedback.

You probably were not being blunt Medowgrove.. I have been on a very limited calorie liquid diet for a week now, and have moved to clear liquids only for the weekend. I'm having surgery on Monday, but I am at work now (Mandatory overtime today and tomorrow). I think I may just be a tad sensitive, and grumpy.. Sorry!

Good question genesaika! I hadn't even thought of that.

I think your point is spot on JHCC. Thanks.  Also, I think that the resin could flake off as the blade flexes, getting into whatever you might be cutting.