I Forge Iron

anvil repair costs?

I just picked this up today was a deal at the price but the guy clearly torched or did something to it I am deciding if the cost-benefit is worth it to repair it I am planning on reselling it.  If anyone has had this kind of work done professionally what was the costs and would it be rude to suggest to them the gunter process? 

pw1.jpg

pw3.jpg

pw4.jpg

It is a usable anvil, repair takes skill, spacific process and specialty welding rod. Any one in the know will be hesitant to pay a high price for a repaired anvil. 

I would suggest googling "Gunther method of anvil repair" or "anvil repair Gunther method" your run of the mill welder is not prepared to weld on wraught iron and tool steel tops with out removing the hardness.  

As I don't know what special proccess welders are charging an hour in your area, I can't really say. There is about 20 hours work there I don't know what 10# of the right rod is these days either. Now as I know a couple of guys who can do the work, and can probably get 5# from a fellow member for cost, what it would cost me is a lot less than it would cost you. 

now hold on a day or three, not everyone is here every day and you might just find out a member who has the skills you need is close buy.

As he said---signs of welding usually drops the price on an anvil as you can not tell if it was done correctly and if someone trying to sell me something tells me the sun rises in the east I'd get my compass out and check!

Does your local ABANA affiliate have an anvil repair day?  About the only cost effective way I know of getting it done.

Thanks,  guys I appreciate it. I had no idea it was 20 hours of work I am sure that would put it out of the cost vs benefit range but I may have found a home for it a guy who owns a body shop wants it and I assume he can do all the repairs to so I am going to just move it along to the next guy.

I have repair welded over a 100+ anvil's & still do time to time & there done right & there in new condition when I am done !

I had to repair my first PW  & it snow balled from there LOL I weld for a living -Thomas is close on time it would take looks more like 15 GOOD Hrs my cost would be around $400. + depending on anvil & that one looks Hurt some dummy with a Torch again !! why people do that is beyond me  But I have fixed worse ! Rod Gunther is the way to go & rod is not cheap ! & you use a lot then grind it off LOL