I Forge Iron

Granite anvil

Yup granite works. It just makes a dull thud pretty much, no ringing.  

Not sure where one might find it in the UAE, but here in the U.S. The better place to look would be a cemetery headstone carving business as they probably have " mess ups" or possible off cuts. There are probably other places to find it like stone sculpters, or a construction company that may use it in buildings. Also scope out demolition debris landfills or such. Be careful with that one tho as it could be dangerous, and gain permission if needed. 

There are other hard rocks that would work in my area of the world. Many with great usable feature shapes. :) 

8 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Yup granite works. It just makes a dull thud pretty much, no ringing.  

Not sure where one might find it in the UAE, but here in the U.S. The better place to look would be a cemetery headstone carving business as they probably have " mess ups" or possible off cuts. There are probably other places to find it like stone sculpters, or a construction company that may use it in buildings. Also scope out demolition debris landfills or such. Be careful with that one tho as it could be dangerous, and gain permission if needed. 

There are other hard rocks that would work in my area of the world. Many with great usable feature shapes. :) 

Thanks, my friends dad has a construction company I could ask him, also I'd love to have the names of those stones, might be lucky and find one.

In general it's a better idea to try to find out what they used locally than to try to find a source of what was used somewhere else.  As you are now aware of the possibility can you find historic descriptions of local work that might include information on sources and items local to yourself?  I sometimes have had luck talking to geology and history departments at a local university.

Just finding granite doesn't mean it will make a suitable anvil. Even though the name is the same, stone from different areas can have very different qualities. Some is solid and strong and some is crumbly and soft. Many other stones are like that too. Basalt might work, but only if it's the unweathered columnar type. Most of the basalt I've seen is too fractured to use. While not knowing what you have in your area, i would find a stone you think would hold up to being pounded and hit it numerous times with a hammer, in a manner similar to striking metal,  to see how it reacts.

13 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

In general it's a better idea to try to find out what they used locally than to try to find a source of what was used somewhere else.  As you are now aware of the possibility can you find historic descriptions of local work that might include information on sources and items local to yourself?  I sometimes have had luck talking to geology and history departments at a local university.

Thing is I've looked up on traditional methods before, but nothing came up. No one in the uae actually cares about blacksmithing, thus it's not documented. I was also wondering if limestone would be a suitable surface? Or would it crumble. 

I think it should be asked, are you looking to use granite because you want to remain entirely traditional, or because you think it will be the easiest thing to find. As you said you have a connection with a construction business perhaps you can find something better in steel, a forklift fork as TP suggested would outperform granite in every way I'd guess. It also is a known steel, whereas stone can be quite variable. 

If you're set on staying traditional perhaps consider learning on a non-traditional setup to acquire skills, then later moving onto a more traditional setup once you're more learned. Sometimes people say, "i want to be a traditional blacksmith...but i'm making my forge with a modern welder, modern steel, using an electric blower, etc" That doesn't qualify, BUT if it's what you want to do then that's ok. 

There are a variety of things that one could use as an anvil substitute you might not even think of, and i would guess most large pieces of steel will outclass granite in every way. 

but welcome to the forums, it's very cool to have someone from UAE!

2 hours ago, Charcold said:

I think it should be asked, are you looking to use granite because you want to remain entirely traditional, or because you think it will be the easiest thing to find. As you said you have a connection with a construction business perhaps you can find something better in steel, a forklift fork as TP suggested would outperform granite in every way I'd guess. It also is a known steel, whereas stone can be quite variable. 

If you're set on staying traditional perhaps consider learning on a non-traditional setup to acquire skills, then later moving onto a more traditional setup once you're more learned. Sometimes people say, "i want to be a traditional blacksmith...but i'm making my forge with a modern welder, modern steel, using an electric blower, etc" That doesn't qualify, BUT if it's what you want to do then that's ok. 

There are a variety of things that one could use as an anvil substitute you might not even think of, and i would guess most large pieces of steel will outclass granite in every way. 

but welcome to the forums, it's very cool to have someone from UAE!

I was doing it for less noise, but I tested it out I put some weights in the dirt, and I found some marble and quartz. Steel has less amplitude but a higher frequency. But  marble had a higher amplitude. So a steel block is what I'll use now, I need minimal noise.

2 minutes ago, Ali Ahmed Khan said:

So a steel block is what I'll use now, I need minimal noise.

Depending on the shape of the steel block, you can quiet it down further by wrapping chains around the middle, adding a magnet under the heel of an anvil, or attaching it to its stand with a layer of silicone caulk.

Just now, JHCC said:

Depending on the shape of the steel block, you can quiet it down further by wrapping chains around the middle, adding a magnet under the heel of an anvil, or attaching it to its stand with a layer of silicone caulk.

Yeah, the way I tested it was digging a hole in the dirt and putting in the weight plate and then hammering it. Didnt make too much noise

The problem with limestone and marble is that contact with glowing steel may cause the formation of unslaked lime dust---in small amounts it is true; but it's nasty stuff to breathe  even so.

If noise is an issue than you are far better learning how to quiet a steel anvil than trying to use a less noisy material. (unless you can get one of the quiet anvils like a Fisher or in lower quality a Vulcan)

Just now, ThomasPowers said:

The problem with limestone and marble is that contact with glowing steel may cause the formation of unslaked lime dust---in small amounts it is true; but it's nasty stuff to breathe  even so.

If noise is an issue than you are far better learning how to quiet a steel anvil than trying to use a less noisy material. (unless you can get one of the quiet anvils like a Fisher or in lower quality a Vulcan)

I'll probably just learn how to quite steel. Now that I know how little noise it can make.