I Forge Iron

Will a forge survive shipping?

Binesman

So my brother-in-law in Virginia has seen some of my recent Facebook posts. And he would like me to make a forge for him. I actually really enjoyed making my forge and burner and I'm happy to do so my question is this. My intention is to line the insulwool with kastolite 30 and matrikote just like I did my own Forge. If I do this before shipping will that coating survive shipping or just be broken to pieces?

Sure. Remove the burner(s) roll them in something stiff and take special care to make it so the jets can't get bumped out of alignment. see the next part for a way to keep them exactly where they should be. Make a two layer wrap of visquene for the inside use double sided tape to stick it to the  liner. Now squirt it full of aerosol foam insulation from the hardware or building stuff store. To do this to the burners, remove the gas line at the burner CAREFULLY. Take a small long box apart so you can fit it around the burner wrap it in Saran wrap so you can get the foam off, stuff toilet paper around the mounting sleeve on the forge shell so you can loosen the screws to pull the burner. Now squirt the box full of foam, right over the jet and gas connection fittings. I HOPE I don't need to tell you to close off the gas fittings, TP or tape to keep the foam out. But there it is anyway, just in case. ;)

Once you have it foamed to support the liner and keep the burner jets and fittings from getting roughed up roll it in bubble wrap and put it in a strong box full of crumpled news paper, peanuts, pop corn, etc.. Tape the snot our of thee box, Deb and her Mother could give lessons in excessive package taping. It's awesome to open one, honest I'll bet her Mother has to pay extra postage.

Anyway, you have to support the liner if it gets dropped and you don't want the burners to get knocked around either. Overdoing the packaging will only get you teased by your brother. . . Do you care? :rolleyes:

You know if you shoot some pics of how you're packing it it'll be easier for him to get un-encrypted. The burners would be the worry so make it easy to remove, mark a cut line or two. The Saran wrap will keep the foam from gluing itself to the burner so a little GENTLE slicing should do the job. Cleaning out the forge is just a little knife work and pulling, the visquene will let it loose.

Its' easier than it sounds in Text.

Frosty The Lucky.