I Forge Iron

If I had half a brain, I'd be dangerous

Ohio

But Dad made it sound so much larger.:huh: Was it shiny? :)

Makes me wish I could attend one of your meets sounds like an interesting demo. How'd he judge the temperature, I've just annealed and worked it cold but I know a couple people who forge al. as a matter of course and they have their ways.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He judged the temp by rubbing a wood stick on the piece. If it left a good black mark that didn't then burn off, it was the right temp. So, no mark or too light a mark is too cold, and a mark that burns off and disappears is too hot. the aim is 400F to 700F IIRC.  Also not all alloys are suitable

As for the ball on the dome, I didn't have my climbing equip with, so I could only get the shot at a distance. I didn't see any shininess, but that could be the angle of the light, or patina from the years of exposure. My guess is that it's about 3 to 4 ft diameter, with no real basis than "it looks like that from here ".

Yeah, the wooden matchstick temp test, we annealed with similar, thanks.

3'-4' sounds about right from what I remember him saying. I used binoculars the one time I went by and had a pair. It was still silver but dusty and bird streaked. Untarnished though, gotta love Monel.

Thanks, Frosty The Lucky. 

Hmm is monel antifouling due to the alloy?

Not that I know of. It's famous for not corroding under some REALLY extreme conditions though. Dad spun a LOT of Monel for aerospace, there are some REALLY chemically active things on space craft. Any component of Hypergolic fuels are BAD to let loose.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thomas, you remind me of a story that was in the papers in LA when I was a teen. A single mother and her young son lived in a beach front community and her son was always dragging strange beach finds home. One day she comes home and her son doesn't look good he says he's sick. She asks him what he thought was wrong. He told her he ate a jellyfish sandwich and it made him sick.

Welllll, not long after, a nearly hysterical mother drags her son into the emergency room hoping he hasn't poisoned himself fatally. This is a new one on the hospital staff so several doctors and nurses attended for the examination. As far as they knew nobody had EVER eaten a jellyfish. When the doctor asked the boy about it the boy told him He liked peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and he liked tuna sandwiches so he tried a tuna and grape jelly sandwich and it made him sick.

Pepto and a couple glasses of water fixed him right up. Made the LA Times, not front page but not buried either.

I can't hear, read or see Jellyfish on TV without remembering the jellyfish sandwich story.

Frosty The Lucky.

Forging aluminum...I was wondering about that. Wish I could have seen that. I'm out of town until next week and while I'm bummed I missed the forging demo, I am in a city with the best donuts I've ever had.

Seriously. I don't joke about donuts.

I'll Frost your donuts, you betcha. It'll be remembered as the "Everett Massacarpone of 2017" Sweet Creamy Sunday!

All joking aside, which town and what's the name of the bakery? It'd be hard to beat the baker's cake donuts at the Nana camp in Prudhoe bay back in the day. He was a replacement for a really bad "chef" who never came back from his week offs. Anyway, we'd get off shift around 11pm. and seeing as there's nothing to do in an oil field camp we'd hit the always open mess hall and see what was for nibbles. The new breakfast cook baker was top shelf and his donuts were the best. We came in late, almost midnight and he's taking donuts out of the fryer. Oh the smell of fresh frying donuts!! :wub:

The whole shift lines up with a salad/desert plate in hand and he says, "It's going to be at least 15 minutes till they cool enough to ice."

WHAT!!! :o In 15 minutes I'll be showered and in the rack without something to keep me up and you don't really want to miss sleep when your 2 weeks on are 7/12s. He's dipping them out with a spider and I say, "I'd like THAT one please." He says, "It'll burn crap out of your mouth, you'll end up on sick call and I'll catch H. . . badness. NO!" I reply, "No it won't, I'll be careful. THAT one PLEASE." He'd just dipped another out and said "OK, I warned you," and dropped it on my saucer. 

The second it hit I spun and headed for the ice cream machine and filled the hole with soft serve vanilla. It spit and sizzled on the HOT oil. I didn't look up when I sat down and started eating my donut. I did get burned but not badly enough to blister but OH it was SO worth it! When guys started sitting down they all had a steaming sizzling donut and ice cream.

You haven't lived till you've had a donut straight out of the fryer filled with soft serve vanilla. The mess hall was mobbed every night when the donuts started coming out of the fryer. In about two weeks the chef shifted donut making time to 4:00am when everybody was sleeping or out working or they all got eaten and there weren't any for breakfast and lunch bags.

I don't know how you could beat those donuts. They're not available in your local donut shop you know. <sigh>

I understand camp kitchens have modern conveyor belt donut fryers so they don't run out. Nobody remembers who's idea it was though but I'm sure I wasn't the first. 

Frosty The Lucky.

St. Louis. The Donut Stop.

The donuts are so good, ice cream would detract. They have a greater variety than they used to but the simplest donuts are still the best.

Like the french donuts aka french crullers, which are unbelievable. Heaven on a napkin. Or skip the napkin and just stuff your facehole with them. Just don't try to go on Sunday as people stand 4 rows deep at the counter and around the building and around the parking lot in the bazillion degree heat and humidity to wait for their goodies. People buy the donuts by the dozens----note the plural. We're weird because we only by 8-12 donuts at a time.

Good thing we don't live here or I'd need a shoehorn to get into my truck.

• 5 weeks later...