I Forge Iron

Scott Mini Boy Anvil

Well looks like a good choice for doing some things and horrible for doing others.  Perhaps you could let us know what you want to use it for if it's not a big secret?

Their prices are a bit gulp making though; I noticed US$7.81 a pound for their 100 pound anvil. and the place I was looking did NOT even tell what alloy it was---I'd refuse to pay a penny until I knew what alloy and what heat treat was done on it!

I found it on Centaur forge site, They're cast from ductile iron and heat treated. Ductile iron is better than Chinese cast iron but not for $7.50- $8.00 per Lb. Depending on the site selling them. Maybe okay for a small bench anvil for a couple bucks a LB. for under 20lbs.

I'd go to the scrap yard and look for something else first.

Frosty The Lucky.

I blacksmith a little, not for a living, 2 lb. hammer max and no shoeing. After 35 years of mostly using a railroad rail I would like a good anvil, hard to justify the $$$ for a 100 lb+  anvil, tired of looking at used and abused anvils that's priced like new.  I like the wide face on this anvil, most new anvils with a 4" wide face will be 100 lbs+ and run $650+.

I can say Scott anvils are some of the better on the market by far. I one the tapered heel 100lb. I've used a striker with a 16lb sledge on it no problem. That little fella would be a fantastic anvil to own. He will stand behind his anvils 100% as well. They hold up great. Not to soft.  I'd always say start with a 100lb, but if it's not in the budget, I think that little one would be just fine. Obviously don't expect a whole lot out of it as far as making heavy projects. I also agree with you, the amount people want for old banged up anvils is ridiculous. Good luck with whatever you decide on. Buy once, cry once.   

My local scrapyard will sell you a 100# chunk of steel for US$20.  Now it will just look like the type of anvils that have been in constant use for over 2000 years instead of like a london pattern anvil that's been around a bit over 200 years; but if the type of anvils they forged viking/frankish pattern welded swords or Japanese katana; Ironwork for Cathedrals, tools, household goods, etc will not work for you then may I commend the TPAAAT to you.  Most people look for anvils only at the most expensive places and then complain about the prices.  Look at places where folks are not trying to get top dollar selling anvils!

JHCC; the first year Fred from out my way went to Quad-State he bought 30 anvils and  didn't put much of a dent in the supply. Last time I was there I counted three people who brought over 15 anvils apiece just to sell and a whole lot more people with onesies, twosies, threesies and foursies.  I can't say much about prices as I anviled up using the TPAAAT and so *everything* seems more expensive to me!