I Forge Iron

What I am sure is a dumb question

Mcholla

I am starting to gather materials for what is going to be my first attempt at a forge build.  It is going to be a Freon tank mini forge, 2" inches of ceramic wool with rigidizer, most likely kast-o-lite 30 hot face, still trying to decide on a kiln wash / IR coating.  I believe I have read everything in Forges 101 as well as Burners 101, and have what is probably a dumb question that I hope someone can answer for me.  Would I be  better to go with a single 3/4" burner, or 2 smaller (1/2" or 3/8") burners for this build.  I am looking to have a solid build (never going to be perfect) that is going to be reasonably fuel efficient, while still being able to hit welding temps (not at all times, but when desired). 

This may depend on exactly what you want to do.  Two half inch burners evenly spaced will provide more even heat inside the forge compared to a single 3/4 inch burner.  However, sometimes a "hot spot" is desirable.   For reference sake, my current forge is a freon tank using the same materials you describe.  However I cut it lengthwise and cast a flat floor, so I may have a little less volume than you will have.  I use a single 1/2 inch Frosty T burner and I have forge welded 1095/15N20 in it.  I close off the pass through opening in the rear and leave only enough room to move the billet in and out at the front when forge welding, but I have been successful.  It takes longer to come up to temperature than it did with the 3/4 burner I had in there before, but I'm not burning nearly as much fuel this way.

Again, it depends on what you want to do at the time. My opinion is that two half inch burners could be almost ideal for that size forge.  Use them both when bringing the forge up to temp or forge welding, but shut one off or turn them both way down when only forging temperatures are needed.  When welding I run nearly twice the psi that I do when forging.

After trying other ways, capillary tubes IN contact tips turned out best. But nothing prevents you from using two 1/2" burners turned way down. Also,  mounting your burners in steel burner portals, allows you to change one or both burners for smaller burners later. Furthermore, if you look at what high prices  junk burners are fetching on eBay, it is easy to sell any GOOD burner, which you simply don't want anymore. for good ,pmru. Narrow definitions on how well your tasks are done is good; but loosen up about what you can do with the equipment, and how much you can change it.

Heh, heh, heh. Oh you are sooooo underestimating how these things work Jeff. I believe everybody who's been doing this a while has a number of forges gathering dust around the shop and all those needed burners too.

Oh and blacksmiths tend to be more clangorers than tinkerers. Bigger hammers don't you know. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

Sometimes getting our druthers leaves us wandering around on the highway of progress; a likely way to be run over. Digital allows all the color that is too expensive in paper books; interactive charts; no limit on book sizes Much lower book prices; free shipping worldwide; and an end-run around crooked publishers. Paper books are buggy whips.